When to Ask Place on Waitlist

thehegeldialectic

2 hours ago, iunoionnis said:

When is an appropriate time to ask where we are on the waitlist? 

I am at a place where I might be making decisions soon, and would like to know all of my options. 

Most applicants I've been in contact with in years past have asked where they were on the waitlist almost immediately. I think that sort of thing is expected. The only reason a program might not want you doing this—or might think it unhelpful—is if their waitlist in unranked (some are seperated by AOI, and then are ranked accordingly, and so they won't know where they will need to pull from early on). 

Ask. If they do not know, you can also go ahead and turn down all the others. For example, narrow it down to the top choice you are already admitted (and let go of the others in which you have been admitted) and let go of any waitlist that you would not choose over the one(s) you are already admitted.

Effectively, you can narrow it down to 2-3. And go ahead and let go of the others.

And believe me, there are many people living in high anxiety right now who will thank you for doing so. 

5 hours ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

DePaul may be worth holding out for. It's a top continental placement. 

Yeah for sure. I just don't think my wife wants to live in Chicago, so there's that.

Villanova is pretty top tier, too, so if it's not a big difference, I might go with the better living situation. But this all remains to be seen. 

Edited by iunoionnis

57 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

Yeah for sure. I just don't think my wife wants to live in Chicago, so there's that.

Villanova is pretty top tier, too, so if it's not a big difference, I might go with the better living situation. But this all remains to be seen. 

I completely understand. I don't see Philly as better than Chicago at all - Philly is a pretty intense place. But if it works better for you all, that is a good reason. You probably can't go wrong either way, unless one really supported your interests more. 

I asked what their process was, if it was segmented by specific program (they have two Ph.D. tracks), or if it’s by POI, and, if she could tell me, what place I’m in. She said she couldn’t say much but that they do tend to go for some balance in their programs. 

9 hours ago, syn said:

I asked what their process was, if it was segmented by specific program (they have two Ph.D. tracks), or if it’s by POI, and, if she could tell me, what place I’m in. She said she couldn’t say much but that they do tend to go for some balance in their programs. 

Who is they?

On 2/24/2018 at 9:22 PM, Neither Here Nor There said:

I completely understand. I don't see Philly as better than Chicago at all - Philly is a pretty intense place. But if it works better for you all, that is a good reason. You probably can't go wrong either way, unless one really supported your interests more. 

Philly is really not that intense.

Heard back from DePaul today. They've made seven offers and have 10-12 people on the waitlist. However, they interviewed some of these people already (and didn't interview me), and they will go with the ones they interviewed before interviewing the rest. So I was told it looks unlikely, but is still possible.

So right now, things look like they are definitely steering towards Villanova. 

Edited by iunoionnis

52 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

Heard back from DePaul today. They've made seven offers and have 10-12 people on the waitlist. However, they interviewed some of these people already (and didn't interview me), and they will go with the ones they interviewed before interviewing the rest. So I was told it looks unlikely, but is still possible.

So right now, things look like they are definitely steering towards Villanova. 

So if the others decline, they have to interview you first? good grief. what if that didn't open up to April 15th?  These people and their ridiculous interviews. Really. I'd personally love to go to DePaul, so I'd be tempted to wait, but I don't know under those conditions. haha.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:45 PM, dgswaim said:

Philly is really not that intense.

Right, no one going to UPenn or Temple needs to live at Chew and Broad, or under the el at Kensington.

If you're going to Villanova, you're closer to Plymouth Meeting

Edited by Duns Eith