Michigan Ford 2018

Just received an email that my application has been placed on the waitlist.

Applied: La Follette (MPA), Ford (MPP), Humphrey (MPP), Evans (MPA) 

Admitted: La Follette (MPA), Humphrey (MPP), Evans (MPA) 

Waitlisted: Ford (MPP)

Rejected ?/11: 

Final Decision:

3 hours ago, Arturo Belano said:

I'm in a similar boat, but with Chicago and Duke. Harris gave me 25% funding and Sanford gave me over 50%, plus an assistantship, so I'm still trying to figure things out. I got into Ford with 0 funding, so I will probably go somewhere else. Great school though! I just can't afford it.  

The struggle is real! I'm definitely going to submit the forms to ask for more $. Have heard Harris grads get denied twice, and third time they got $. Negotiating is a crazy game 

I'm admitted but without funding. I know there are other funding opportunities out there, but are other people who are in the same position feeling like the ~$120k for two years without funding may not be worth the investment? UM is such a great school with amazing resources and opportunities. How are you guys thinking about this?

3 hours ago, dx1798 said:

I'm admitted but without funding. I know there are other funding opportunities out there, but are other people who are in the same position feeling like the ~$120k for two years without funding may not be worth the investment? UM is such a great school with amazing resources and opportunities. How are you guys thinking about this?

Struggling with same thing. I am hoping to get some funding in the end and their program is amazing, but it’s so much money. I’m going to make an appointment with the fellowship advisor and see if I might get some or if I can defer and improve my chances? 

6 hours ago, MPPKollege said:

For people who requested for more funding. When do you think we will hear the decision on that?

The admissions office starts redistributing the funds after the April 15 deadline, from what I hear. I don't think we can wait on them to make the decision.

10 hours ago, Jules74 said:

Congrats everyone! Got in with full funding and stipend :D 

I would love to hear some of your backgrounds and why you are choosing Ford. 

Hey! I come from a pure tech background - I've been working in a tech frontrunner for over 3.5 years now. Working here got me interested in technology ethics, interplay between private and public policy, and public policy in the face of new technology (especially AI). As you'd expect, I intend to take up STEP at Ford, and they've been doing some great work in the domain so I am very excited. :D

Can we hear something from you too? Especially as you're one of the few people with 100% funding, I am sure you have a great profile :)

Hi,

Even with the aid, I find Ford slightly out of my reach. How advisable is it for first-year students to commit to an RA position before starting classes?

I am sure that I will eventually want to work as an RA, but since affordability is a concern right now, I am wondering if I should apply right away.

Hi! I have been admitted in the MPA program, but I have around 10 years of professional experience. Are you, admitted fellows, much more junior than I am? I am concern to be surrounded  by people way much younger than I am, with a differente lifestyle and goals regarding to the program...

44 minutes ago, DKWTG18 said:

Hi! I have been admitted in the MPA program, but I have around 10 years of professional experience. Are you, admitted fellows, much more junior than I am? I am concern to be surrounded  by people way much younger than I am, with a differente lifestyle and goals regarding to the program...

Hi @DKWTG18, I am certain you're not going to be entirely out of place. The average age of the combined (MPP + MPA) cohort for the last batch was 27.

54 minutes ago, VeryCheesey said:

Hi @DKWTG18, I am certain you're not going to be entirely out of place. The average age of the combined (MPP + MPA) cohort for the last batch was 27.

Thanks @VeryCheesey :-) I am actually 37. I think Michigan and Georgetown have cohorts relatively younger than Syracuse. But maybe it's not that important. I am still waiting for GSPP results and it's killing me...

On 3/13/2018 at 10:00 PM, VeryCheesey said:

Hey! I come from a pure tech background - I've been working in a tech frontrunner for over 3.5 years now. Working here got me interested in technology ethics, interplay between private and public policy, and public policy in the face of new technology (especially AI). As you'd expect, I intend to take up STEP at Ford, and they've been doing some great work in the domain so I am very excited. :D

Can we hear something from you too? Especially as you're one of the few people with 100% funding, I am sure you have a great profile :)

Hey! Thank you for sharing your background. It sounds like Ford is a Good fit for you :) I graduated with a double major in Political Science and International Relations.  I spent time working for a nonprofit I am very passionate about and I became interested in public policy through a fellowship I participated in at Carnegie Mellon University. My passion lies in social change and addressing inequalities faced by communities of color. 

Edited by Jules74

On 3/15/2018 at 9:38 AM, VeryCheesey said:

Hi @wakandaforever and @Edpol93, can you share your notes after the event on this forum? I am an international student in no position to visit either today's event or the campus visits, so it'll be great to have some insight.

Sorry for the delay! Went to admitted student reception in DC. Alumni were mid-tier policy professionals working at USAID, Deloitte, ED, CBO. About 20 admitted students. If anyone else on the thread went to the DC reception please chime in.

Hey y'all! I was in the 2016 admissions cycle and was considering Ford, Sanford, and a low-ranked school. I decided to go with Duke Sanford, but I got my undergraduate degree and first Masters from Michigan and am quite familiar with the Ford school, having friends who attended both the undergraduate and graduate programs. Ultimately, Duke was the best fit for me and provided me with a better financial package. I also wanted a new experience after already attending Michigan twice and living in the State my whole life. However....I am "true blue through and through" as the saying goes, and you'll only hear praise about Michigan from me. I attended the open house, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Attend ALL the open houses you can make time for/afford. It was critical in making my decision. I 100% would have chosen the wrong school if I had not attended the open houses. Also, do not just read the promotional materials that schools send you with pretty pictures and graphics - read the course offerings. I read the complete course offerings for each school under consideration and realized that the classes I was most interested in taking were only offered at Duke. This resulted in me concentrating in a policy field that wasn't offered at any of my other admitted options and has shaped my career trajectory and job opportunities. Don't forget to do this!

With regards to Michigan and funding options after year one...this refers to the opportunity to work as a Graduate Student Instructor or "GSI" as they call it. Essentially, it's the equivalent of of TA at most other schools, although it may have more responsibility than the typical TA, based on my experience. I worked as a GSI at Michigan in 2011-2012 and as a Duke TA this year. At Michigan, the benefits are profoundly better. Depending on which course you assist with and the amount of expected work hours, you will receive anywhere from a partial to a full tuition waiver PLUS a living stipend. Remember, though, that the level of funding depends on which course you are assigned to teach. In 2011/12, I taught courses for which I was the sole instructor (as in no professor just me lecturing), so I received a full tuition waiver and about a $5K living stipend per semester. The next year, the position for that same course was remodeled so that GSI's were no longer the sole instructor (professors taught class and GSI led optional discussions). Due to the significant decrease in responsibility and expected hours, the tuition waiver was cut 75%. Also, GSI positions at Michigan are very competitive! You ARE NOT gauranteed a position and need to be prepared for the possibility that your funding will be exactly the same year 1 and year 2. If this is a gamble you cannot afford to take, then do not bank on getting a GSI job. 

At Duke, domestic students are gauranteed TA positions (or RA/GA positions) for two of four semesters. However, you get no tuition waiver and everyone gets the same $4K living stipend. However, my TA positions at Duke have been significantly less demanding. I grade papers, hold office hours, and handle administration for the professor. I do not have to teach and prepare lectures like I did at Michigan. 

I hope this information is helpful for any new Blue Devils or Wolverines out there! Both are great schools. My overall recommendations for making your decision are consider (1) personal fit (both academically and personally in the program and the city), (2) Evaluate financial offerings and how much risk/debt you can/are willing to accept, and (3) review course offerings and program requirements to understand how your curriculum with vary depending on the program you choose. 

Good luck!