Do parents attend open houses?

I second what everyone else is saying yes to the casual open house part, absolutely not for the interview.  Those of you that are super supportive of bringing the parents may not realize how often parents takeover and end up making their child look incompentent.  

The university won't ever withdraw your acceptance but if they are selecting a class size looking more independent is a plus.  We get moms calling into our program constantly for information for their child it makes the student look helpless.  Why is the parent doing all the research?  Did they pick the students major too bc the student doesn't seem very involved or interested.  We even had a mom who filled out the grad school application and accidentally put her name not the child's!  It gets more ridiculous than you think.

There is nothing wrong with bringing a parent, if they are laid back!  Leave the type A parents at home!

On 2/28/2018 at 3:50 PM, 2018slp said:

So just to make sure, it's okay for parents to come with to post acceptance open houses? I'll be coming from out of state about a five hour drive away and they wanted to come with me. Thanks!

Hi! I think it depends on the program. Is there an option to say you are bringing a guest when you register for the event? If yes, then definitely feel free to bring with you parents! I think programs understand that a lot of parents are invested in their kids' education and they want to learn about/see the university for themselves. If it doesn't give you an option, maybe ask the person who is coordinating the event.