Jump to content

Timing and decisions


BabyScientist

Recommended Posts

Backstory: My significant other is in a career field that is geographically limited, so I'm trying to keep him in mind when making my decision.

One of the programs wants to nominate me for a fellowship, and I have to write a short essay due tomorrow for them to do so. I loved the program and the interview experience, but it's in an area that doesn't work for my partner's career path. I plan on decline the offer, but I wanted to wait until I heard back from my top choice school before doing so. But it also feels like if I might accept the offer I have to write the essay for the fellowship. Should I write and submit it even if I will most likely decline the offer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like there's no harm in writing the essay for the fellowship, and as you said it's just a short essay. If you happen to get into [top choice] AND get the fellowship, you can always decline the fellowship offer, but if you happen to not get into [top choice], then you don't want to be left regretting not applying for the fellowship. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seconding rising_star: why wait until you hear back from your top choice? The only reason to not decline is that this is your personal #2 choice school and you think your partner will move to this area for you if you don't get into your top choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use