Research Experience Before Applying to Programs

costigan95

Thanks in advance.

I graduated in the fall with a 3.53 GPA, BS in Sociology (Criminology) and a minor in History, from a Land Grant Public Research University.  My plan for much of my undergrad career was to attend law school, but I always considered a graduate program in history. Now, after working at a law firm as a research assistant for several months, I am refocusing on a graduate program in history, as that is where my instincts and heart are taking me. I would like to pursue a PhD, as academia is one of my more focused goals.

My question is whether private legal research, separate from a University, will be appealing to a PhD program? I passed up a research position at my school for the legal job, as I thought it would help me more with law school (and money). Now I am wondering if I have shot myself in the foot... I have a lot of research paper experience from UG with my Sociology degree, and was just shy of a dual degree with History, so I have quite a few classes on my transcript. I would like to get in to a really good program, but worry I don't have enough academic research experience, at least that I can put on a CV. 

My Alma mater has a strong graduate (MA and PhD)  history program, that isn't ridiculously expensive. I wonder if an MA would make me a more appealing candidate under the circumstances? Any recommendations are welcome :)

Since your alma mater has a MA and PhD program, why don't you ask your History professors for their thoughts on your level of preparation for history PhD admissions?  You didn't mention languages, so I am guessing you are interested in US history?

Work experience outside of academia can be a real advantage when applying to history PhD programs. It shows that you have experienced the non-academic working world--suggesting that you have the maturity and perspective to know why you want a PhD, and to know that you are training for the jobs you most want. While some people come straight from undergrad into a PhD program and do well, those who have gotten away from school tend (from what I've seen) to complete the degree with greater frequency, and to have an easier time treating grad school as professional training (which it is) vs. continuing undergrad (which it is not). Your personal statement is your chance to explain your path to your career decision. Tell that story as a strength, not as an apology.

Where your background suggests potential weakness, to me, is your writing sample. All programs--especially top tier ones--want to see evidence that you can research and analyze history with primary documents, situated within a historiography. This becomes even more crucial when you are applying to history programs with your primary training in other fields (sociology and law). I was in a similar situation, with a major and a thesis in a non-history field. To address this, I audited a research seminar taught by a historian, and researched and wrote an article-length piece of original research, in order to have a strong writing sample. This also helped me to develop a research project to pitch in my personal statement. During the same year, I paid for language training at a local college--it cost less than $2,000 for the year, much cheaper than a MA. I was able to keep working part-time during this year, and probably could have worked full time if it had been necessary.

A MA will give you the credential, plus more structure and mentorship, along with a usable history writing sample. Depending on your finances, it's probably the most thorough way to prepare yourself to apply for a PhD. But there are less expensive ways to boost your profile. 

7 minutes ago, historyperson said:

I audited a research seminar taught by a historian, and researched and wrote an article-length piece of original research, in order to have a strong writing sample

That's another question. If I take the next year or so to do independent research, and develop a subsequent paper, would that be just as valuable as well developed BA paper? 

I would like to study 20th Century Germany, but my German does need some development. I am happy to take the steps to up my reading comprehension and develop speaking ability a bit more. Would an MA in US History be detrimental, if may not intend to continue that work in a PhD setting?

58 minutes ago, costigan95 said:

That's another question. If I take the next year or so to do independent research, and develop a subsequent paper, would that be just as valuable as well developed BA paper? 

I would like to study 20th Century Germany, but my German does need some development. I am happy to take the steps to up my reading comprehension and develop speaking ability a bit more. Would an MA in US History be detrimental, if may not intend to continue that work in a PhD setting?

If your interest is 20th century German history, then why do a MA in US history?  Unless your interest is connecting US history and German history (there are many, many works on transnational and comparative aspects), I'd go with routes that would strengthen your position as Germanist including reading secondary sources to get hold of the historiography and improving your German.

28 minutes ago, TMP said:

If your interest is 20th century German history, then why do a MA in US history?  Unless your interest is connecting US history and German history (there are many, many works on transnational and comparative aspects), I'd go with routes that would strengthen your position as Germanist including reading secondary sources to get hold of the historiography and improving your German.

My alma mater is only worth attending if I do US History, as that is its strongest area of study that appeals to me. I'm not adverse doing a comparative aspect, but you are right that my PhD interests to not focus on American history. 

With that clear, would I better served sharpening my language and historiographical ability? 

7 minutes ago, costigan95 said:

My alma mater is only worth attending if I do US History, as that is its strongest area of study that appeals to me. I'm not adverse doing a comparative aspect, but you are right that my PhD interests to not focus on American history. 

With that clear, would I better served sharpening my language and historiographical ability? 

Yes.

4 minutes ago, WhaleshipEssex said:

I struggle to see why an MA in American history would interest you given your passions in German history. 

Am I confined to one area of interest? Most of my undergrad work and personal studies have been focused on Germany (Weimar, Rise of Nazism, some Cold War GDR stuff) but I also am drawn to US foreign policy during the 1970s. 

I'm just deciding the best approach academically. It seems that a US history MA would be more for personal benefit, than academic benefit. 

7 minutes ago, costigan95 said:

Most of my undergrad work and personal studies have been focused on Germany (Weimar, Rise of Nazism, some Cold War GDR stuff) but I also am drawn to US foreign policy during the 1970s. 

Talk to some of your professors and find out who is doing similar research. You're not confined to one area, but you should be aiming for a department that has people doing related work who can steer you in the right direction.

@costigan95 I was in a similar boat as you about two years ago. First, I suggest getting to Germany ASAP. You need to show that you are not only capable of doing research (reading, listening, and basic writing) in German, but also that you have shown a willingness to experience Germany, rather than merely reading about Germany. Therefore, I suggest the following language schools/programs for this upcoming summer.

I highly suggest applying for the DAAD summer school since it will be a major boost to your CV, but also look at the other ones from different cities in Germany.

Next, start thinking about what exactly you want to research. 20th Century and Contemporary Germany are full of historians who study the cultural and ideological differences between East and West, as well as the respective political movements. Get acquainted with the research in the field and start asking yourself what interests you most. From there, expand it to include another world region, as well as Europe. Understanding Germany within Europe and then the world will make you more attractive and nuanced within the current literature. Another suggestion would be to start with an idea, such as development aid programs, humanitarianism, nationalism (it has been done to death), etc., then use Germany as a case-study. This will cause you to work from a global view and then either critique or explain its relevance from a German perspective.

I will agree that spending time in Germany will give you a good perspective on German history, culture, and language. I'll admit that it is hard to study 20th century German history without having a sense of what it's about.  The impact of Nazism and "divided" Germanies can still be felt everywhere, especially if you can travel between former East and West (i.e. Dresden and Köln) in addition to Berlin. I have traveled all over Germany over the course of my PhD and it's now more regional focused but the story of the town's past remain ever present.  

I also got clarity while doing my German homework in a Turkish cafe in Berlin.  I found myself deeply interested in questions of nationality, belonging, and immigration as my basic research questions.

For the course of the MA, I'd spend that kind of money on being in Germany for at least 5-6 months (ideally between November and April when it's low season and train tickets and German language courses are cheaper, and the fun experience of winds from Russian Arctic).

I also suggest reading David Blackbourn's outstanding speech, "Honey, I Shrunk German History" in German Studies Review. and reviewing German Studies Association's conference program in the last few years to get a sense where the research is giong.

7 hours ago, Tigla said:

Another suggestion would be to start with an idea, such as development aid programs, humanitarianism, nationalism (it has been done to death), etc., then use Germany as a case-study. This will cause you to work from a global view and then either critique or explain its relevance from a German perspective.

Thank you for suggesting the programs. I think the first thing I need to get a handle on, is that taking my time will only benefit me. 

I am deeply interested in Nationalism, but fear that it is too saturated with people already doing work. I am also very interested in how the problems faced by Germany in the 20th Century, affect Modern  Germany and Europe. I know that is a broad area of study, and I will need to focus in on what is a novel and interesting approach to examining it.

Edited by costigan95
Grammar