Hampton University

I received an acceptance letter from Hampton last Friday. Has anyone else applied and heard back yet? Also, I applied there on a whim and I was wondering if anyone had any additional information about the program? 

Thank you! I applied I think the end of December or early January and just heard back last Friday. Also, I sent my application in first and then had my professors send my recommendations separately when they were done. As for my stats they aren’t that impressive: 3.7 CD gpa, 148Q, 152V, and 4.5W.

Also, good luck :)

Ha your stats are actually better than mine. I hope to get in. Have you applied to any other schools? Also what made you apply to Hampton? I am hoping to get in since my stats are on the low end, plus I like the history of the school and its also by the beach. Im not gonna lie, some of the stuff I've heard about Hampton makes me nervous, but I still want to go there!

That's okay, I think you still have a chance! My friend was also accepted and her stats were a little lower than mine and she also retook the gre twice (145Q, 143V, 4W, and 3.63 gpa). Also, I've applied to eight schools: Hampton, Howard, Seton Hall, Elmhurst, Nova Southeastern, Cleveland state, Washington State, and University of Washington. And I knew I wanted to apply to Howard and I was trying to figure out another HBCU to possibly attend, so I figured why not Hampton. I've done more research about the program now that I have been accepted and I think it would a great place to get a degree, but like you there are a few things that worry me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Much like you @mimithebellydancerand @SLP<3 I wanted to go to an HBCU. Being from CA I've never experienced the culture of a predominantly Black or just not mostly white school. I've heard great things about the university and researched the program extensively before applying. I think it's going to be a great experience for all of us. Also, I secured an apartment! The rent is pretty cheap compared to where I'm from AND most spots come w/ a washer and dryer in unit (that's unheard of for a decent price out here), but I haven't heard anything about financial aid yet. I'm assuming they don't want us to work...so I'm hoping financial aid will cover it. Of course, I'm applying to scholarships like a mad woman but that part still worries me a bit. Are either of you open to exchanging info if I can figure out how to do it privately? I would love to know some people before stepping foot out there!

11 hours ago, *Speak2Me* said:

Much like you @mimithebellydancerand @SLP<3 I wanted to go to an HBCU. Being from CA I've never experienced the culture of a predominantly Black or just not mostly white school. I've heard great things about the university and researched the program extensively before applying. I think it's going to be a great experience for all of us. Also, I secured an apartment! The rent is pretty cheap compared to where I'm from AND most spots come w/ a washer and dryer in unit (that's unheard of for a decent price out here), but I haven't heard anything about financial aid yet. I'm assuming they don't want us to work...so I'm hoping financial aid will cover it. Of course, I'm applying to scholarships like a mad woman but that part still worries me a bit. Are either of you open to exchanging info if I can figure out how to do it privately? I would love to know some people before stepping foot out there!

Don't get your hopes set on a TRUE HBCU experience in a graduate program, especially not speech. In a Facebook group I'm in for minority (I say this because they're not all black) SLPs/SLPAs/Audiologists (the group is called SISTAS if you're wondering/interested), there's a thread about SLP/CSD cohorts at MANY HBCUs have majority white students .... Hampton, TN State, NCCU, etc. It's wild. 

But as an HBCU (undergrad) grad .... I can tell you that you're gonna love homecoming :)

Congrats on getting in! 

Hi! Congratulations and welcome to your new “Home By the Sea”! You have made a great choice in choosing Hampton University in your pursuits to become an SLP. I’m Shorell and a second year graduate student at Hampton in Communicative Sciences and Disorders. My roommate moved away after finishing the spring semester, so I have a vacancy. It’s a fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment, with washer and dryer. A queen size bed is available if interested. If any of you are still looking for housing, send me an email at shorell19@gmail.com. See you guys in the Fall and again congratulations! 

Hey ladies, 

Like you all I applied to Hampton University SLP program and was accepted. I do plan on attending. How did you ladies arrange for housing ? Do y’all hold undergrad degrees in speech or will you be taking the prerequisite classes at Hampton as well? I would really like to get to speak with other students before going since I’m currently in Atl, Ga. Do you all plan on attending Orientation? I have no clue of what to expect. @mimithebellydancer @SLP<3 @Shorell19 @HoneyBee03 @*Speak2Me*

Edited by Chocolate31417

I plan on orientation! And I am currently looking for housing. I am on the 3 year track since my bachelors is in early childhood/international studies. Im thinking of making a facebook page. Congrats, and welcome to the crew :)

• 4 weeks later...

Oh! Also, I am on the 3 year track, so I will be taking all of the pre-requisite courses. Does anyone happen to have any of the syllabi/booklists?  I wasn't able to pre-register for any of my courses, so I don't have access to them on Blackboard (sadly!)

• 1 year later...