To waive or not waive: LORs?

lily_

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better to waive your right to view your LORs or to read them?

• Yes, waiving your right is better.
    • No, it's better to read them!

Some applications have the option to waive your right to view LORs or they give you the option to view them after they are submitted. Which is better?

My guess is if you waive the right to view the letters, adcoms assume a more honestly written letter? Or do they really care?

Just some thoughts, would love to hear some feedback.

I agree. Waive your right to see it. You have to trust that if someone agrees to write you a rec, that person has your best interests at heart and wants to help you get in. If s/he doesn't, then s/he should tell you straight out so you can find someone better suited to do it.

Don't waive it, and the adcomm is definitely going to raise eyebrows...not to mention, some profs will refuse to write you one if you don't waive that right, on principle.

Hang in there!! You've got a great portfolio assembling, you'll certainly be competitive in the end. :)

So I was 100% sure that I waived my rights to see my LOR for my WUSTL application, but last night I went to my application on their website to see if the status was updated and there they were! I clicked on the button that said "attached documents" and then there was a list of the names of my letter writes and a button next to their names that said " view". I thought maybe it would simply tell me if they receieved the letter, but when I clicked on it the entire letter opened up for me to read. I admit, I read it. The temptation was too much! Then I read another one...then I felt guilty.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Check your WUSTL app!

I have to say I disagree. People fought long and hard for those rights, people who had been majorly screwed by their "recommenders." IMHO, by waiving your rights, you demonstrate naivete and a lack of self-esteem.

Anyone who refuses to write an LOR because you wouldn't waive your rights must not want you to know what hu is writing about you. If hu is saying all good things, why wouldn't hu want you to see? Only people who have something to hide want to stay hidden...

"Transparency" is a hot topic these days and people serving on adcomms know this...

It is my understanding (and the understanding of most of the professors that I have spoken to) that NOT waiving your rights only allows you to see the LORs AFTER you have been accepted or rejected. My program didn't have an option to waive, but it was assumed. I have heard in a round-about way about the quality of my LORs (excellent), but will likely never see them.

It is my understanding (and the understanding of most of the professors that I have spoken to) that NOT waiving your rights only allows you to see the LORs AFTER you have been accepted or rejected.

More precisely, if you don't waive your rights you only get to see the LOR after you've been accepted AND enrolled at a school. So if you're rejected that's not how you'll find out if it was because of a bad LOR.

I think waiving your right would seem more confident. I didn't, however, because I'm a journalism student, and journalists love access to documents! I completely trusted my recommenders and hope they didn't take it the wrong way. I'd love to see what they wrote, out of curiosity.

Bottom line, I'd say, only waive it if it makes sense to waive.