Should I reach out again?

pataka

4.5 weeks ago, I attended the in-person interview. They said they should have decisions in a week or two.

3 weeks ago, my POI reached out via email to say that they wanted to update me that the adcomm was "nearing admissions decisions" and they wanted to know how I was feeling about the school. I replied enthusiastically and didn't get a response.

2 weeks ago, I followed up to clarify/reiterate my interest in the program and didn't get a response.

So now, should I reach out again? Or should I continue to sit tight? Should I assume I'll be getting a rejection? I can't tell at this point if I'm justified in my frustration or if I'm being impatient. Or both. What do I doooooo :wacko:

11 minutes ago, pataka said:

4.5 weeks ago, I attended the in-person interview. They said they should have decisions in a week or two.

3 weeks ago, my POI reached out via email to say that they wanted to update me that the adcomm was "nearing admissions decisions" and they wanted to know how I was feeling about the school. I replied enthusiastically and didn't get a response.

2 weeks ago, I followed up to clarify/reiterate my interest in the program and didn't get a response.

So now, should I reach out again? Or should I continue to sit tight? Should I assume I'll be getting a rejection? I can't tell at this point if I'm justified in my frustration or if I'm being impatient. Or both. What do I doooooo :wacko:

I know it's super frustrating but if your last follow-up email 2 weeks ago didn't get a response, then your next one will also likely not get a response since there's probably not much else you can say. I honestly think you just need to sit tight. At this point, you shouldn't assume rejection either though, unless you have heard of others getting accepted. I feel you though - I'm in the same boat with the waiting anxiety! But there's not much else we can do at this point. 

4 minutes ago, SarahTonin said:

I know it's super frustrating but if your last follow-up email 2 weeks ago didn't get a response, then your next one will also likely not get a response since there's probably not much else you can say. I honestly think you just need to sit tight. At this point, you shouldn't assume rejection either though, unless you have heard of others getting accepted. I feel you though - I'm in the same boat with the waiting anxiety! But there's not much else we can do at this point. 

That's a good point - I probably won't get a response so what's the point of bugging them again.

I haven't heard of anyone getting acceptances or rejections at this point, but I've only maintained contact with a couple of the applicants in my interview cohort so there's still technically the possibility that I haven't heard because I'm not in contact with the others? That might be a stretch, though. I am very much in the dark.

Thanks for the solidarity. I'm just telling myself April has to come eventually :lol: 

9 minutes ago, pataka said:

That's a good point - I probably won't get a response so what's the point of bugging them again.

I haven't heard of anyone getting acceptances or rejections at this point, but I've only maintained contact with a couple of the applicants in my interview cohort so there's still technically the possibility that I haven't heard because I'm not in contact with the others? That might be a stretch, though. I am very much in the dark.

Thanks for the solidarity. I'm just telling myself April has to come eventually :lol: 

Yeah, I think March is just this weird period of being kept in the dark. Sporadic acceptances, waitlists, people getting off the waitlist, etc. So much could happen between now and April! But it's definitely a practice in patience lol :D

I don't have much insight for you, but I can provide solidarity. I'm in the same boat - my POI reached out to me last week to tell me I was on the short list, and I haven't heard anything since. The nerves are unbearable. If nothing else, take solace in the fact that you are not alone, my friend!

23 minutes ago, cremy07 said:

I don't have much insight for you, but I can provide solidarity. I'm in the same boat - my POI reached out to me last week to tell me I was on the short list, and I haven't heard anything since. The nerves are unbearable. If nothing else, take solace in the fact that you are not alone, my friend!

Thanks, friend. It's good to be reminded we are all in this together. 

9 hours ago, worried2018 said:

in the same positions as you ... gonna wait out this week. this is torture haha

I'm sorry you're going through the same thing, but it's nice for me to know that this incredibly stretched-out timing situation is apparently not abnormal. Here's hoping we hear good news soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as though you reached out, I am questioning if I personally should reach out to my PI. She Facetimed me before I even applied for a long time, and told me at the end that I was everything she was looking for in a grad student. Haven't reached out since she sent me funding info, but nervous as I don't know what to say (the school does not conduct interviews). Any insight is lovely from you guys :)

On 2018. 3. 15. at 10:34 PM, JetPlane_the said:

Make way! Another short-listed person here. So much if’s... if funding comes through, if we get a position for you...!! 

Wow already a week has passed since I've written that reply. Did anyone get some good news? I've contacted my POI about a week ago and am planning to send one more reminder today.