Advice on reaching out to mentor at top choice program post interview

psychIsLife

Hi all

I interviewed at my top choice PhD program a month ago and found out that there were two applicants to the same lab that I applied to who would be interviewing at a later date (although I have no idea when) and was not given any kind of estimate on when I should expect to hear back.  I did send a post interview thank-you email to my PI and received an encouraging response which concluded with a statement that they'd be in touch. 

About two weeks ago, I received an admissions offer from my second choice (it was actually my top pick prior to interviews) which I am absolutely thrilled about and incredibly grateful for.  I would be happy at either program, but my 1st choice (which I haven't heard from) is just a little bit of a better fit all around and especially for my training and career goals... It's truly my dream program in every way, better than I could have hoped for.  I just feel really bad about sitting on the offer from my 2nd choice for so long and, while I know that I technically have until April 15th and the PI and DCT have been very understanding and aren't pressuring me, I still want to avoid holding up the process for everyone else as much as possible.

I've seen various sources stating that having another offer that you would decline if you received an offer from the program you're waiting to hear from is the only appropriate time to inquire about status post interview.  I haven't been able to find advice on how to approach the inquiry in such a situation though.  I know that I need to explain that I'm asking because I have an offer (not just being impatient) but every draft I've composed just feels awkward trying to work that information into it.  Does anyone have any advice on how to phrase this?  Or should I wait longer before contacting the PI? 

I know it's a difficult process for the faculty also and I'm not even sure if the other applicants have had their interviews yet and I don't want to be pushy or impatient.  Any advice you guys have is appreciated!

Just explain your situation and say you are inquiring about your status bc you’d release the other offer for someone else if you’re accepted. If you have another good acceptance, you are holding good cards. Being honest will probably get you an answer. 

This is the one situation - when you are accepted elsewhere - when you don’t sound desperate when you reach out. Just be honest.

Best of luck.