Does SFSU seem a little... disorganized to anyone else?

Hi guys! Just curious about your thoughts on San Francisco State's program, because I feel like I've only run into problems with their department and I'm wondering if I'm not the only one.

Here goes... Since applying to SFSU's program in mid December, I've received six emails informing me that my undergraduate transcripts for two of my universities have not yet arrived. I've now paid $40 to send three separate copies of my transcripts to the graduate studies department, both in electronic and paper formats, and I have sent five emails to different people asking if there is anything I could possibly do to fix the situation. I tried logging into my student portal, only to have to tangle with the IT department because I was unable to answer the security questions the site was asking, as they did not apply to me. I emailed the Division of Graduate Studies, who reminded yet again that my transcripts were missing from my application. This was the second and last time I ever received a response from the SFSU graduate department. I know that this is not a problem on my end, because I've read multiple accounts on here posted by confused students who are also frustrated with the department.

In early December, I called the Communication Disorders office because I had several questions about the application that I could not find answers to on their website. When I called, the woman on the other end told me to guess on portions of my Cal State Apply application because she and her colleagues had yet not been trained on how to use the new Cal State Apply system... huh? This was nearly a week prior to the deadline! She also told me that the department had intentionally left misleading and outdated information on their website instructing applicants to send hard copies of their application packets to the department through the mail (with an additional application fee and postage expense) because they thought it would be confusing if they deleted it.

I was surprised when I received an invitation to interview, as I had all but written off this school, seeing as the department doesn't respond to my emails and I can no longer view which documents have been processed in my student portal. I wasn’t even aware that the program conducted interviews, because I couldn't find any information about it anywhere on the Communication Disorders website. The only reason I suspected that they might interview prospective students is because I hunted through last year’s information here on GradCafe specifically looking for evidence that interviews might be held. I received the interview invitation Monday evening and went to bed thinking that I would respond in the morning, but then I was buzzed awake at 2:30 AM when I received yet ANOTHER email telling me that SFSU still doesn’t have my transcripts!

Please tell me I'm not crazy... is SFSU usually this disorganized? I feel like I'm trying everything I possibly can but I'm getting no response from the school and I don't know what more I can do. This seems like a great program and I'd really love to live in San Francisco, but I'm honestly thinking of withdrawing my application because it's been such a headache!! Anyone else run into similar problems with this school?

Hey there!

I am a current graduate student in the program and I am here to confirm that YES THE PROGRAM IS VERY DISORGANIZED. When I was applying it was the most confusing process of all compared to other applications. All that being said, I am still happy I chose it and came to SFSU. I love my cohort and we band together through the disorganization. I already lived in SF and I was happy I didn't have to move. Also, the program is the cheapest (7k for the year) and if you are in-state tuition is typically covered by a need-based grant. They also have specializations in AAC and autism that grant you $12k for taking some extra classes. If you decide to do the interview, feel free to shoot me a message!

Wow, that makes me feel a lot better knowing that I'm not the only applicant having issues with this school! It seems like a lot of the CSUs have super confusing applications/unresponsive staff, which is kind of alarming... And thanks for all the great info, speechie72! However, I just got accepted somewhere else closer to home so I emailed SFSU to tell them I won't be attending their interview after all. Hopefully that helps someone else out! Glad to hear you're enjoying SFSU-- the city and campus are really beautiful :)

11 hours ago, speechie72 said:

Hey there!

I am a current graduate student in the program and I am here to confirm that YES THE PROGRAM IS VERY DISORGANIZED. When I was applying it was the most confusing process of all compared to other applications. All that being said, I am still happy I chose it and came to SFSU. I love my cohort and we band together through the disorganization. I already lived in SF and I was happy I didn't have to move. Also, the program is the cheapest (7k for the year) and if you are in-state tuition is typically covered by a need-based grant. They also have specializations in AAC and autism that grant you $12k for taking some extra classes. If you decide to do the interview, feel free to shoot me a message!

Hi speechie72! 

I will be attending the interview on Monday. Would you mind sharing any tips to prepare and what to expect in the interview? I'm a Bay Area native that moved to SoCal for the last few years but I am contemplating on returning home. 

For the program itself, do you feel that there is a specific group the program focuses on (school/medical setting, children/adults etc...)? Do you also feel as though you are getting enough hands on experience? 

7 hours ago, SLPhopeful129 said:

Hi speechie72! 

I will be attending the interview on Monday. Would you mind sharing any tips to prepare and what to expect in the interview? I'm a Bay Area native that moved to SoCal for the last few years but I am contemplating on returning home. 

For the program itself, do you feel that there is a specific group the program focuses on (school/medical setting, children/adults etc...)? Do you also feel as though you are getting enough hands on experience? 

Hello!

I sent you more interview details in an inbox message, but I will put this out there for others too- interviews are surprisingly short and group-based. I went in with 5 other during mine. Unless they switched it up- you will introduce yourself, then work together to solve a problem, and then there's a short period at the end where you can ask questions. I think they just want to get a feel for who you are and how you work in groups.

With regard to the program itself you get a good amount of hands on experience from the start. You are randomly placed in an on-campus either child or adult clinic from day one. You complete 3 on-campus clinics (either 2 adult and 1 child, or 1 adult and 2 child depending on your preference) then you have a school internship and then a medical internship (which can be with adults or kids). I don't really notice a particular program focus...we talk a lot about celebrating diversity and that is definitely a vibe across the campus. As I mentioned before though the department is pretty disorganized so I am doing a lot of just going through the motions and getting the classes done that I need. However...I would say that if you have a particular interest, it's easy to take that in to your own hands. For example if you do the AAC or autism grant/certificate then that will feel like your focus just because you will be taking more of those classes and you'll be in clinics related to those topics. I have some very specific interests that the program doesn't have the opportunity to observe, so I have connected with SLPs in the city to observe them. With regard to whether I am getting enough hands-on experience, I feel like I am getting a good taste of what different environments are like, but I am definitely realizing that most of the BIG learning will be done once I am in the field. One semester just isn't enough time to truly learn how to work with a population, and right when you feel like it starts making sense the semester is over and you will be switching clinics.

16 hours ago, speechie72 said:

Hello!

I sent you more interview details in an inbox message, but I will put this out there for others too- interviews are surprisingly short and group-based. I went in with 5 other during mine. Unless they switched it up- you will introduce yourself, then work together to solve a problem, and then there's a short period at the end where you can ask questions. I think they just want to get a feel for who you are and how you work in groups.

With regard to the program itself you get a good amount of hands on experience from the start. You are randomly placed in an on-campus either child or adult clinic from day one. You complete 3 on-campus clinics (either 2 adult and 1 child, or 1 adult and 2 child depending on your preference) then you have a school internship and then a medical internship (which can be with adults or kids). I don't really notice a particular program focus...we talk a lot about celebrating diversity and that is definitely a vibe across the campus. As I mentioned before though the department is pretty disorganized so I am doing a lot of just going through the motions and getting the classes done that I need. However...I would say that if you have a particular interest, it's easy to take that in to your own hands. For example if you do the AAC or autism grant/certificate then that will feel like your focus just because you will be taking more of those classes and you'll be in clinics related to those topics. I have some very specific interests that the program doesn't have the opportunity to observe, so I have connected with SLPs in the city to observe them. With regard to whether I am getting enough hands-on experience, I feel like I am getting a good taste of what different environments are like, but I am definitely realizing that most of the BIG learning will be done once I am in the field. One semester just isn't enough time to truly learn how to work with a population, and right when you feel like it starts making sense the semester is over and you will be switching clinics.

Oh no! Hearing about the program being disorganized is always concerning. Do you find it difficult to get into the classes that you need? Is everyone in the cohort taking the same classes at the same time? 

Do they help with clinical placements with other SLPs/clinics to observe the interests that aren't covered in the program? Because you're attending a school in the Bay Area, do you feel as though it makes it easier to find a job there because of the school (from faculty support, networking etc...)? I've already been accepted to another program but that is out of state. However, I'm looking to return back to CA after and was wondering if graduating from a school in the Bay Area or even CA for that matter would have any impact.