MA(ED) Counselling Psychology University of Ottawa

playdough

Hi everyone! I am currently finishing off my undergrad with a pending application for University of Ottawa's MA(ED) counselling psychology program for Fall 2018 admission.

With the results coming out slowly, I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions I have about the program and the admission procedure. 

1. Do they conduct interviews before sending out offers to potential candidates? In the results search section, it seems like people never do pre-admission interviews.

2. Has anyone received offer of admission from this program?

2. What exactly happened to their PhD program? On the website it just says admission to the PhD program will be suspended until further notice.

3. How would it look for other schools if I finish this program and apply for their clinical/counselling programs (masters or doctorate)? 

4. Any other general tips?

Hello, I hope I can help :)

1. uOttawa's counselling program never does interviews, so your acceptance will be based on the application you sent in (e.g., transcripts, statement of purpose, etc.)

2. I have received an offer of admission into to the MA(Ed). I know few people who have gotten accepted into the MEd because they've gotten rejected from the MA(Ed). The MEd offers are rolling out slowly because some people reject their acceptances, so they move down the waitlist.

3. A lot of people have finished this program and applied to clinical psychology programs. Most people I know have gotten admitted into clinical psychology programs. I think the MA(Ed) looks really good on a CV because not only do you get to do research (publications and presentations are important), but you  get counselling practicum and get licensed as a counsellor/registered psychotherapist after the program.

4. What kind of tips are you looking for? :)

6 hours ago, TheLilacLover said:

Hello, I hope I can help :)

1. uOttawa's counselling program never does interviews, so your acceptance will be based on the application you sent in (e.g., transcripts, statement of purpose, etc.)

2. I have received an offer of admission into to the MA(Ed). I know few people who have gotten accepted into the MEd because they've gotten rejected from the MA(Ed). The MEd offers are rolling out slowly because some people reject their acceptances, so they move down the waitlist.

3. A lot of people have finished this program and applied to clinical psychology programs. Most people I know have gotten admitted into clinical psychology programs. I think the MA(Ed) looks really good on a CV because not only do you get to do research (publications and presentations are important), but you  get counselling practicum and get licensed as a counsellor/registered psychotherapist after the program.

4. What kind of tips are you looking for? :)

Thank you so much! These are all very useful information! 

What should I think of my pending application since some people have already gotten into MA(ED) program? My status on the website just says under evaluation and I haven't received any email. Is it likely that I am waitlisted? about to be rejected? Is it possible that the preferred supervisor I indicated on my application haven't got to mine yet? 

Sorry Im bombarding you with questions, getting anxious by the second right now :(

On 3/9/2018 at 1:27 PM, playdough said:

Thank you so much! These are all very useful information! 

What should I think of my pending application since some people have already gotten into MA(ED) program? My status on the website just says under evaluation and I haven't received any email. Is it likely that I am waitlisted? about to be rejected? Is it possible that the preferred supervisor I indicated on my application haven't got to mine yet? 

Sorry Im bombarding you with questions, getting anxious by the second right now :(

Since some people have already gotten into the MA(Ed), it seems like you would have a slim chance of getting in at this point but you still have a chance to get into the MEd. It is likely that you're waitlisted. They're most likely moving down the list of candidates. The supervisors have most likely chosen the students they want to be honest. I received my acceptance letter February 13th, so it's likely that the supervisors have their students chosen already. 

It's all good! I'm happy to answer any more questions you have :) I would be as anxious if I was in your position!

On 10/03/2018 at 1:57 PM, TheLilacLover said:

Since some people have already gotten into the MA(Ed), it seems like you would have a slim chance of getting in at this point but you still have a chance to get into the MEd. It is likely that you're waitlisted. They're most likely moving down the list of candidates. The supervisors have most likely chosen the students they want to be honest. I received my acceptance letter February 13th, so it's likely that the supervisors have their students chosen already. 

It's all good! I'm happy to answer any more questions you have :) I would be as anxious if I was in your position!

:( I had my hopes up since the website said results would roll out by mid-march.

I have heard that it is possible to transition from MEd to MA(Ed) program. How realistic do you think this is? If I were to get offered MEd instead of MA, would it be worth it to take a shot and aim for the transfer, or would it be better to wait a year and apply the next cycle?

Thanks for all the help!!

I think it is possible! My friend got int the MEd, but she emailed a professor whom she had prior contact with and asked him if he could accept her into the MA(Ed) and he agreed! I say you should take a shot! There's also a choice to transfer into the MRP (major research project) stream so you can look into that :) It's like a non-funded thesis!

• 5 months later...

Hello! I am thinking of applying for the counselling psychology course for next year and had a couple questions about your application process. 

1. How late did you submit your application? 

2. Did they close early? Currently it's set at November 1st. 

3. For letter of recommendation, would you advise mentioning previous therapy you may have had yourself?

Thanks!

Victoria ?