The classic high vs. low cost program question. ANY insight appreciated!!

Hi everyone, 

Recently I was offered a GA position with a tuition waver and a small stipend to an out of state school. I could see myself being happy here and I am excited about the research being conducted, but I don't think there are many externship placements that align closely with my career goals after I graduate. 

Ideally, my goal is to work in a specific large city in a rehab facility/ hospital. I've been accepted to all of the programs offered in the city with no funding, but still waiting to hear back from one. Any of these programs would be a dream but the tuition and cost of living is just so high!!! 

Is it worth the debt/ manageable in order to gain externship experiences in the exact professional environment that I see myself in/ also the connections that I could make? Or would I be crazy to put myself in so much debt? 

If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation I would be SO grateful for any insight. 

Thank you!!!

4 minutes ago, barbaripee said:

Hi everyone, 

Recently I was offered a GA position with a tuition waver and a small stipend to an out of state school. I could see myself being happy here and I am excited about the research being conducted, but I don't think there are many externship placements that align closely with my career goals after I graduate. 

Ideally, my goal is to work in a specific large city in a rehab facility/ hospital. I've been accepted to all of the programs offered in the city with no funding, but still waiting to hear back from one. Any of these programs would be a dream but the tuition and cost of living is just so high!!! 

Is it worth the debt/ manageable in order to gain externship experiences in the exact professional environment that I see myself in/ also the connections that I could make? Or would I be crazy to put myself in so much debt? 

If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation I would be SO grateful for any insight. 

Thank you!!!

I think this is a topic that every one applying to grad school thinks about.  I can't speak for everyone else, but the way I view it is that money will come and go, but certain opportunities may only come once.  I'm going to make the most of my time in grad school and take out whatever loans necessary to provide myself the experience that I'm looking for.  I may be paying it back for years to come but I think it's worth it since I will only be going through a grad program once! 

But again, I see many people cite cost as something that dictates their program so you just have to decide what's more important to you! 

Are you absolutely sure that you couldn't get a similar externship placement if you go to the out of state school? Also, what happens if once you're in the specific large city's rehab facility/hospital and you don't like it? Will you still be glad you went into debt to be there?

I'm risk-averse so I always follow the money. My thinking is that not having the debt will free me up for future opportunities in ways that I can't currently foresee. For me, not having much debt when I finished my PhD (the debt I had was from buying a car) meant that I could be more selective about opportunities, travel to see friends and family, and buy myself nicer things as I set up my first post-grad school apartment.

Have you confirmed with the "high" cost program that you will get the placement you want?  Here is my experience: The admissions people said preferences would be considered for  placements and the reality of program has been -you get what you get because the clinic director says "it's all experience."  In some ways she right, but I've yet to get a client in the area I think I'm interested in. . . 

Unless everyone at the out of state school gets the same offer, which I doubt, the faculty saw something special in you.  You could become the big fish in the small pond.  Tthe professors will know you personally.  Your  letters of recommendation will show this.   And smaller loan payments -meaning more cash for you- later on makes living in the city after graduation easier.   

If you really want to attend one of the city schools, ask them if can they guarantee the externship you want.  

Edited by Pronounce

Honestly I'm all about low price. Obviously if the education is going to be horrible, go somewhere else. But you can always find an externship that's a little farther away or whatever (depending on where the school is located), so if I were you I'd pick the more affordable program. I'm honestly trying to go to the school that can offer me the most money, because I already have loans. I guess if you have zero loans currently it would be okay to choose the more expensive program, but just keep in mind you'll be paying it off for many years to come.