MA in Political Science- University of Toronto

sarah5

I received my acceptance to the program yesterday.  I didn't receive a funding package, and after looking at the website, I realized they don't usually fund MA programs.  That obviously doesn't speak to the quality of the program - and I will contact them, just in case; maybe I can get something - but I do think it's worth noting.

UofT's MA is a research intensive 1 year program. You won't be TAing, as those positions are reserved for PhD students to help fund them. You're pretty unlikely to get departmental funding unless you apply through SSHRC. A year can be a way to pick up some valuable skills, but it's hard to build high quality relationships with faculty. That said, I know a few people who have used UofT's MA program as a stepping stone to PhD programs all over (including placements in Harvard's Gov department), or as a means to pick up some data analyst skills that placed them well in the private sector. In a way, you get what you put into it but it's a massive department. You might find yourself vying for the attention of your advisor, and living in a really expensive city with no funding (and thus, for most people, needing to work on top of a demanding 12 month program). 

I am also looking for advice on UofT's MA program and I'm running out of time to make a decision. I have a second offer from UBC for a MA in Political Science.  I was also offered a TA/RA position at UBC, amounting to approx. 15 000. The program has a thesis component which, as far as I know, differs from the research paper done at UofT. I was keen on going elsewhere because I already did my BA at UBC, but I can't decide if it would actually be worth it to ditch the funding and TAship at UBC for UofT. Any thoughts on this/ advice are greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Val43

Institutional change is generally viewed favorably (if you are planning to apply for a PhD in the US at a later stage). But if UofT means debt, then I would not do it.

Maybe talk to some of the current UBC MAs who also did their undergrad at UBC and hear their perspective.

Go to UBC. The MA is program is better. But try to get the RAship, it will be better for your applications (and considering you already know the faculty well, this should be a relatively easy thing to accomplish). 

11 hours ago, Val43 said:

I am also looking for advice on UofT's MA program and I'm running out of time to make a decision. I have a second offer from UBC for a MA in Political Science.  I was also offered a TA/RA position at UBC, amounting to approx. 15 000. The program has a thesis component which, as far as I know, differs from the research paper done at UofT. I was keen on going elsewhere because I already did my BA at UBC, but I can't decide if it would actually be worth it to ditch the funding and TAship at UBC for UofT. Any thoughts on this/ advice are greatly appreciated. 

I would opt into UBC for funding purposes (and also because Vancouver > Toronto any day). If people raise an eyebrow about attending the same institution for two degrees, there is an argument to be made that as a graduate student you will be focusing on political science in a way that you didn't during your BA, and you will very likely be working with additional professors that you didn't as an undergrad. Teaching experience is valuable and its not hard to pick up an RAship for your advisor (most try to offer some form of work to their grad students knowing money is tight). At UofT you most definitely won't be teaching. 

On the difference between major research papers (MRP) and theses, there are pros and cons. Some professors argue that a thesis is a better signal as a prospective PhD student since the manuscript tends to be longer, require more depth and more scrutiny (multiple reviewers) than a MRP. Others say the research paper option is better because you're capped for length, which pushes you to create something that (if done well) is publishable. In either case, the final paper you write (MRP or thesis) is what you make of it really. 

Thanks to all of you for replying. Your input and advice is much appreciated and really helps. Both institutions are equally good quality-wise. The programs are structured in almost the exact same way, if not for the final paper. At UBC, there's the added chance to gain teaching experience. The graduate advisor did indeed confirm that it is extremely rare, if not almost impossible, for MA students to get an RA/TAship at UofT. I´ll give it a final sleep tonight and wrap things up tomorrow. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2018 at 8:27 PM, Val43 said:

Thanks to all of you for replying. Your input and advice is much appreciated and really helps. Both institutions are equally good quality-wise. The programs are structured in almost the exact same way, if not for the final paper. At UBC, there's the added chance to gain teaching experience. The graduate advisor did indeed confirm that it is extremely rare, if not almost impossible, for MA students to get an RA/TAship at UofT. I´ll give it a final sleep tonight and wrap things up tomorrow. 

It’s a long shot but I was wondering where you ended up going and how your experience there was like. It’ll help me make my own decision because I’m in the same boat and looking for advice. I hope you do see this and respond! Thank you so much. :) 

About how much is tuition in the UoT MA in Political Science program? If one applies as a Canadian citizen and is unfunded, that is. It's been somewhat difficult trying to find info on this anywhere online, including their website, in my experience!

Edited by Mercutio
mistake

On 3/7/2020 at 2:52 PM, Mercutio said:

About how much is tuition in the UoT MA in Political Science program? If one applies as a Canadian citizen and is unfunded, that is. It's been somewhat difficult trying to find info on this anywhere online, including their website, in my experience!

Hi @Mercutio - 

You're right, it's difficult to find this info. For some reason, most UT departments just provide a link to the SGS Fees Schedule without just stating the tuition. Assuming you are a Canadian citizen/permanent resident and unfunded in the MA in Political Science program, 2019-2020 fees for the year were $7,850.90 Canadian Dollars (CAD). 

Source: Table 1A, http://www.fees.utoronto.ca/Assets/Student+Accounts+Digital+Assets/19+20+Fall+Winter/sgs_domestic_fees.pdf