How/when to ask if I'm being considered for funding?

1PhDplz

I was admitted to a masters program two weeks ago (the program doesn't admit directly to PhD if you come from a bachelor's degree). So far, the school is offering to reimburse expenses for the visit day, which is coming up this week, but I still haven't heard about financial aid. Is it appropriate to ask if I'm even being considered? When I first asked about visit day reimbursements (1 week ago), I was told funds were reserved for students being considered for financial aid and that they were still figuring things out, but the response was very generic and I didn't get the feeling that the program coordinator was suggesting that I wasn't being considered. 

Funding for the masters program at this school is really competitive (only around 25% of the admitted MS class receives any funding at all) and their website says decisions are made by the end of March. Is it too early for me to ask? Also, do programs typically send out emails along the lines of "we know you indicated need for financial aid on your application, but unfortunately you have not been awarded any scholarships" without you asking directly? If anyone has a template for asking about financial aid, that would be incredibly helpful. 

If the website says decisions are made by the end of March, then you should wait until then to ask.

The only exception is that you would not even bother visiting this school if you are not already certain about financial aid. But since the school will pay for the visit then as long as you have time to visit, it makes sense to go ahed with the visit since it won't cost you and you will have more information about the school.

Even though the person told you that visiting funds are reserved for students being considered for financial aid, that doesn't mean that you are being considered (or not considered) for financial aid, even though you are getting visiting funds. Nothing is certain until it's in writing. So enjoy the visit and hope you get good news by the end of March!