UNC

cmbiglow

Thanks! I wish they'd included info about funding, hehe. The letter came from the Grad School and it said that decisions about financial aid are made in a separate process and sent directly from the program providing the funding.

Thanks! I wish they'd included info about funding, hehe. The letter came from the Grad School and it said that decisions about financial aid are made in a separate process and sent directly from the program providing the funding.

Thank you! I have been checking my mail obsessively waiting for the letter!

I just got an acceptance letter from UNC today :)

Congrats! Did you apply for Advanced Standing? I am still waiting to hear and I am wondering if it is different for Advanced Standing :)

Congrats! Did you apply for Advanced Standing? I am still waiting to hear and I am wondering if it is different for Advanced Standing :)

I sent an email to them asking when decisions would be made and they told me that advanced standing would know in a weekish (that was the beginning of last week) and regular and distance-ed would know by the end of March. She said they were sending out letters all the time though! I just want to know!

I applied to the 2 year program, but it sounds like you should be finding out pretty soon :) I hope its good news all around!

• 3 weeks later...

Got my financial aid package (kind of) Was offered a total of more than $34,000 for my first year (full tuition + $10,000 stipend) which I'm going to have to turn down sad.gif

Dang.

Congrats! That is an amazing offer! Why are you going to have to turn it down? I am still waiting to hear about funding. Did they e-mail you recently? Do you know if the funding is from the Graduate School or the Social Work Department?

Congrats! That is an amazing offer! Why are you going to have to turn it down? I am still waiting to hear about funding. Did they e-mail you recently? Do you know if the funding is from the Graduate School or the Social Work Department?

The email came from the School of Social Work. I will be declining because I am getting married and my partner has no matching schools in the area. Plus, I think I love California too much cool.gif

The email came from the School of Social Work. I will be declining because I am getting married and my partner has no matching schools in the area. Plus, I think I love California too much cool.gif

I actually grew up in California until I was 13 and go back to visit as often as I can. I totally understand why you would want to stay. Have you decided where you are going in California?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2010 at 2:28 AM, Red Rock said:

Red Rock--

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask your stats? I got accepted to WUSTL and Smith for the fall, but am reluctant to take out large loans (even with generous scholarships, these schools are just so expensive). I am considering applying to UNC as I've heard great things and just waiting a year to start. You got an amazing scholarship package--is there a name for the one you got (I didn't know they gave living stipends for MSW students)? Did you also apply to the PhD program?

My stats are: 3.9 undergrad GPA, 1310 GRE, currently doing AmeriCorps living/working in transitional home for women, and lots of past volunteer experience.

Thanks for your time!

Red Rock--

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask your stats? I got accepted to Wash U and Smith for the fall, but am reluctant to take out large loans (even with generous scholarships, these schools are just so expensive). I am considering applying to UNC as I've heard great things and just waiting a year to start. You got an amazing scholarship package--is there a name for the one you got (I didn't know they gave living stipends for MSW students)? Did you also apply to the PhD program?

My stats are: 3.9 undergrad GPA, 1310 GRE, currently doing AmeriCorps living/working in transitional home for women, and lots of past volunteer experience.

Thanks for your time!

I don't remember the name of the package, sorry. I only applied to the MSW program, and was offered it without applying (I also didn't know packages like this existed for MSW students!)

I can definitely understand not wanting to get into debt for an MSW. I had really lousy aid offers from UChicago and Columbia and while they are excellent schools, they are definitely not worth (to me) the almost $100,000 debt.

I'm a Berkeley grad, 3.5 GPA, volunteer/worked with diverse communities, and am finishing up my second Americorps year (yay Americorps!) Good luck with whatever your decision may be.