NYU

5 minutes ago, amelsanti said:

hi! i am thinking to apply also to the NYU. can you tell me your background and i can have an idea about what silver school is looking for. I am nervous with all of this

3.4 GPA, plenty of volunteer and work experience in the field, I am also advanced standing. I say go ahead and apply! What is your GPA? Do you have experience? They gave me a 15,000 scholarship. 

On 3/15/2018 at 12:20 AM, amelsanti said:

hi! i am thinking to apply also to the NYU. can you tell me your background and i can have an idea about what silver school is looking for. I am nervous with all of this

I also am attending and had a 2.79 undergrad GPA, have been working in the field for a few years now though. took the GRE and got a 154 V 149 Q (I cant remember if thats exactly right but around there)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TeacherTurningSocialWorker said:

Leaning toward NYU, just have some more soul searching (and funding searching) to do

I am in the same boat as you, stuck between Columbia and NYU currently. I have been switching back and forth for the last few months but I think I might have finally landed on NYU. 

23 hours ago, goldenbear said:

I am in the same boat as you, stuck between Columbia and NYU currently. I have been switching back and forth for the last few months but I think I might have finally landed on NYU. 

Who gave you more funding? Columbia gave me $11,000 while NYU gave me $15,000

On 3/30/2018 at 1:40 PM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Who gave you more funding? Columbia gave me $11,000 while NYU gave me $15,000

Columbia gave me $15,000. I appealed and got $16,000. NYU gave me $17,000. After doing calculations, NYU comes out to about $8K less expensive! So I'm leaning NYU because their administration is more helpful and their program appeals to me more than Columbia's program. 

35 minutes ago, goldenbear said:

Columbia gave me $15,000. I appealed and got $16,000. NYU gave me $17,000. After doing calculations, NYU comes out to about $8K less expensive! So I'm leaning NYU because their administration is more helpful and their program appeals to me more than Columbia's program. 

I chose NYU due to the program and it being more clinical based. Also, they were more helpful and provided steady communication during the application process. For me, that says a lot about a program and how they treat their students. Columbia kept giving people the runaround and just overall not a good experience. I thought I would have heard back from them back in Jan or Feb since I applied in Nov. NYU has gone out there way to connect me with alumni from my current school that currently attend Silver. Have you visited both schools? A visit can make or break a decision. 

What made you guys decide on NYU? I was accepted to both NYU and Columbia and I'm still waiting to hear back from Hunter and Lehman. I would love to go to NYU. But, I'm leaning more towards the Public colleges because of the cost. I'm scared I'll be in debt forever. 

8 hours ago, TeacherTurningSocialWorker said:

At the end of the day, I need to take out loans no matter what. I finished undergrad with $30k in loans, which I have been steadily paying off with no issues. It's not breaking me, which is great. Also, I'm getting married next month, and will be a newlywed when grad school begins - having my husband's support and also the fact that he makes enough money to keep up above water while I'm in grad school helps. I will still need to take out loans for school and personal expenses. 

I visited NYU and attending an accepted students mixer. It really solidified my choice. I have not officially put my acceptance and deposit in because I am still waiting to hear back about financial aid (in addition to $15k scholarship)! NYU's clinical focus suits my career goals better. Since I've been accepted, I've been receiving emails about field learning forms, next steps, etc. Their communication is great. I interviewed at Hunter yesterday so I am waiting to hear back from them. but after visiting NYU, it felt right. So I am 90% sure about NYU. Just have to mentally prepare for more debt.

I try to live my life not worrying about money. I grew up dirt poor so I know what it is like and I am so blessed to be at a point in my life where that is not the case anymore. I can't really "afford" grad school, but  I am still going to do it. Hopefully years down the line, I am doing something with my degree that won't feel like I wasted my time. Looking at it optimistically because NYU makes me excited to go back to school. 

Follow your heart. It really is such a personal choice.

Thank you for replying! I definitely have a lot to think about. I was trying to do the math and just got overwhelmed by everything. I might call NYU tomorrow. After doing my math NYU and hunter came out to almost the same cost after my $17,000 scholarship which I found surprising so I don’t think I got the math right. 

Edited by cfabre

4 hours ago, Chebrutta said:

Hey guys! I called financial aid today. They said to expect the official aid award sometime in late May. Just an FYI!

Do you know if the official aid award not is the same thing as the financial aid award notification? I received my financial aid package today. But I think it all depends when you’re accepted and when you complete your FAFSA. 

13 minutes ago, cfabre said:

Do you know if the official aid award not is the same thing as the financial aid award notification? I received my financial aid package today. But I think it all depends when you’re accepted and when you complete your FAFSA. 

Sounds the same! I was accepted like March 21st, so I’m probably behind everyone else. But he also mentioned that they’re a little overwhelmed with undergrad financial aid right now. 

I’m *supposed* to give notice before May in order to not be a complete d*** at work, but I also want all finances handled before I resign. Sigh. Maybe a miracle will happen and I’ll get it early!

Hi everyone,

I am just curious when did you guys apply to NYU? I am aware they have 3 deadlines ( Jan, Feb , March)  I applied to the March deadline and my recommendations were submitted late ( last week) so I do not know if I will be accepted because I applied later than I should have. On the website, it said that students hear back before or on around April 20. I am expecting a rejection because I applied late :\

5 hours ago, Zyra said:

Hi everyone,

I am just curious when did you guys apply to NYU? I am aware they have 3 deadlines ( Jan, Feb , March)  I applied to the March deadline and my recommendations were submitted late ( last week) so I do not know if I will be accepted because I applied later than I should have. On the website, it said that students hear back before or on around April 20. I am expecting a rejection because I applied late :\

Hey I applied the first week of February and heard back the week after. Which I was really surprised about. You should call and ask if your application is affected because your recommendations were submitted late. 

Do you have to accept NYU’s offer to receive the full financial aid package? I’ve officially committed to Columbia as of today but I haven’t declined NYU’s offer. I want to see what my package would’ve been lol

So excited to be in the same city as you all! Let’s definitley connect!!! :)

17 hours ago, Zyra said:

Hi everyone,

I applied March 15 and heard back a week later!

19 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Do you have to accept NYU’s offer to receive the full financial aid package? I’ve officially committed to Columbia as of today but I haven’t declined NYU’s offer. I want to see what my package would’ve been lol

So excited to be in the same city as you all! Let’s definitley connect!!! :)

Hey you don’t have to accept NYUs offer I think just add them on your fafsa that’s what i did