What does this mean?

monkeefugg

Last Night, I received an e-mail about financial aid from the school to which I applied.

But the thing is--I received it in my gmail account; whereas the e-mail account associated with my application and in which I had been receiving all the previous e-mails this school had been sending me is another account.

My gmail address only appears on my resumé.

So obviously this e-mail wasn't an automated message, but rather someone actively looked at my resumé and copied the e-mail address from there.

What.. why?

any ideas?

I'm trying not to read into it, but as decision time is drawing near, I find myself ever-more anxious... :unsure:

Not to discourage you, but I received financial aid forms from a school secretary at a school where I was ultimately rejected.

Forms and information regarding financial aid in no way allude to the possibility of acceptance. Finaid is always contingent upon acceptance. However, information is just information.

We are all anxious. No need to fret. The answer will come soon. smile.gif

I'm not on a waitlist; they haven't made decisions yet

But not everyone got that e-mail

BTW, I love Hermes

esp that time where he was going to eject the parallel universe box containing all his friends/co-workers from the ship into outer space, and everyone suddenly popped out and said "Hermes! Don't press the button!!!!"

And Hermes looks at the eject button, then back at theeject pod, then back at the button, then at the pod, and finally, after a while says "hhmmm....okay"

:lol::rolleyes:

Edited by monkeefugg

I'm not on a waitlist; they haven't made decisions yet

But not everyone got that e-mail

BTW, I love Hermes

esp that time where he was going to eject the parallel universe box containing all his friends/co-workers from the ship into outer space, and everyone suddenly popped out and said "Hermes! Don't press the button!!!!"

And Hermes looks at the eject button, then back at theeject pod, then back at the button, then at the pod, and finally, after a while says "hhmmm....okay"

laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

How do you know not everyone got it? I've been getting those emails from them since before I applied! Did you ever request info from them or attend any events?

Because

1- If everyone got the email, I would have received a duplicate in the inbox of my e-mail account associated with my application and to which I had been receiving all previous (mass or automated) messages.

2- someone on a results post said that they did not receive the e-mail

Because

1- If everyone got the email, I would have received a duplicate in the inbox of my e-mail account associated with my application and to which I had been receiving all previous (mass or automated) messages.

2- someone on a results post said that they did not receive the e-mail

and 3- stop getting people's hopes up

I don't care, they sent them to everyone, they always sent these shit informative emails. Even if they accept me with quadruple funding I will go to my grave believing they sent the emails to everyone. But I have been rejected everywhere else, so I severely doubt I got in there. So the email doesn't mean anything.

Edit: And for the record, I do get your point about their copying it from the resume. But my point is that it still doesn't mean anything.

Edited by anxiousapplicant

The one I received early this morning was from messages@notification.embark.com -which was about the creative writing program (um...not my program).

The only other email I received was from UnivAdm@newschool.edu saying my application had been marked as complete and ready for review.

Did either of you apply online via Embark? And if so...are you checking the application status on their (NSSR) website? Just curious if either of you have any insight on your application preference going from "Not Entered" to "Accepted" or something to let you know it's worth checking laugh.gif

http://www.newschool...n/appstatus.htm

Added: (hit post too soon)

monkeefugg -it's a tough call. I wouldn't read into it too much, but on the other hand I completely agree with you that it makes no sense how that email address was added into the mix. My only guess is that they have some admin people that review the contact information and maybe the email address on your resume was added during that time. Again, it still begs to question why they would enter anyone/everyone's email addresses when they ask you to provide a working one. Weird.

For a long time I would get emails for undergrad programs at NSSR when I only ever requested information on one grad program. I used to think that was really weird as well.

Edited by Babbling Dweeb

The one I received early this morning was from messages@notification.embark.com -which was about the creative writing program (um...not my program).

The only other email I received was from UnivAdm@newschool.edu saying my application had been marked as complete and ready for review.

Did either of you apply online via Embark? And if so...are you checking the application status on their (NSSR) website? Just curious if either of you have any insight on your application preference going from "Not Entered" to "Accepted" or something to let you know it's worth checking laugh.gif

http://www.newschool...n/appstatus.htm

I check it constantly and it never changes. They sent out an email recently requesting address info to send out decision letters (which, they pointed out in their email, didn't mean anything). They said decisions would be mailed out starting March 10 and then on a rolling basis. I can post it if you want to see it.

I check it constantly and it never changes. They sent out an email recently requesting address info to send out decision letters (which, they pointed out in their email, didn't mean anything). They said decisions would be mailed out starting March 10 and then on a rolling basis. I can post it if you want to see it.

Thanks for the offer...you telling me is enough. I saw that was posted in the results search by a few people (I'm 90% sure monkeefugg said she posted it once as well in there). I'm using March 10th as my "go by" date...but of course I still check 4 times a day :)

Which program are you applying to?

Again, it's not true that it "doesn't mean anything"-- it means that they need your address in order to mail the decision letter

emphasizing "didn't mean anything" by italicizing it only makes you look stupider

A rejection letter isn't a decision? And I never insulted you, for the record.

Edit: and because I am so stupid and cannot communicate clearly, I ought to be more specific and explain that when I say doesn't mean anything, it means "doesn't indicate acceptance." And, quoting their email,

Please respond to the questionnaire no later than March 1, 2010. The completion of the form should take just a few minutes of your time. Please note that the questionnaire is not an indication of your current status in the admission process.

----end quote.

The bolding on the third sentence is mine. So please refrain from calling me stupid next time, because they themselves said it DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE ACCEPTED. They can send rejection letters to your house, too.

Edited by anxiousapplicant

Thanks for the offer...you telling me is enough. I saw that was posted in the results search by a few people (I'm 90% sure monkeefugg said she posted it once as well in there). I'm using March 10th as my "go by" date...but of course I still check 4 times a day smile.gif

Which program are you applying to?

Poli Sci masters

of course a rejection letter is a decision

OMG why wouldn't it be?

Maybe you didn't insult me, but you annoyed the hell out of me

and I have disordered eating, so I'm all squirrelly and edgy from malnutrition; I yelled at people in class today (they deserved it, though, b/c they are fucking stupid)

anyway, there you go

so hold me to a different standard than a normal person

(actually, normally I am something of a sociopath, so whatever)

sad.gifunsure.gif

That's no excuse.

I hate you.

Also, you're stupid

You have yet to prove me wrong. They themselves said these emails do not indicate where you are in the process. I realize this is a stressful time, but that doesn't mean you ought to act like this. I personally couldn't care less if you think I'm stupid, but you're spreading a lot of negativity and false hopes on this board.