Any urban planning masters applicants out there for Fall 2018?

Mun-Dungus

Hi anyone out there applying to the Urban Planning programs for fall 2018? I applied to University of Illinois, Chicago, University of British Columbia, University of Colorado Denver, UMass Amherst, and Portland State. I've been admitted CU Denver, UMass Amherst, and UIC but I am still waiting on the others.  No news on funding for UMass Amherst yet, and confirmed no funding for UIC and a small scholarship for Denver. 

Where have you applied? What news? Any schools you are particularly anxious to hear from? I am anxious to hear from PSU as people have begun to get acceptances and I have had no news. 

I've applied to two - University of British Columbia and Vancouver Island University. I'm from BC and wanted to stay close to home this time (just finishing my MA from the University of Calgary). Haven't heard from either. I've been told that I can hear from VIU by the end of March regardless of their decision, and that UBC will get back to admitted applicants throughout March, and then waitlisted and rejected applicants in April. Very anxious to hear back from UBC as they have a very low acceptance rate and it would be that much closer to home, which would be amazing. 

Best of luck! 

Update

Received an email today from UBC notifying me that I am on the waitlist. They also told me that the first round of admitted students have until April 15 to accept their offers. Still waiting to hear from Vancouver Island University, and still keeping my fingers crossed for UBC. 

43 minutes ago, TheWillToDo said:

I applied for Urban Studies at the Simon Fraser University. The admission deadline was 15th February but I have heard nothing!

I am an international applicant, by the way. Good luck to everyone!

I had thought about applying to SFU's Urban Studies program but decided against it. Their domestic application deadline was February 28 which I thought was really late! You might be waiting a little while still, though hopefully not. Best of luck to you too!

1 hour ago, DT96 said:

I had thought about applying to SFU's Urban Studies program but decided against it. Their domestic application deadline was February 28 which I thought was really late! You might be waiting a little while still, though hopefully not. Best of luck to you too!

Well, i read on the university's page that notice about decisions will be made known 4-6 weeks after the deadline. For me, its been 5 weeks now since the deadline so I don't know. I'm a bit frustrated, I must admit 

2 hours ago, TheWillToDo said:

Well, i read on the university's page that notice about decisions will be made known 4-6 weeks after the deadline. For me, its been 5 weeks now since the deadline so I don't know. I'm a bit frustrated, I must admit 

It's nice that they give a time frame on the website - I was unaware of that. Impatience or feeling anxious about an impending decision can pretty easily lead to frustration (I definitely know), but do your best to not express this frustration towards anyone at the school or in the program. They are still within their own time frame. If after six weeks (and maybe a day or two, if you want to be a little generous), I think a phone call to the department would be understandable. 

7 hours ago, DT96 said:

It's nice that they give a time frame on the website - I was unaware of that. Impatience or feeling anxious about an impending decision can pretty easily lead to frustration (I definitely know), but do your best to not express this frustration towards anyone at the school or in the program. They are still within their own time frame. If after six weeks (and maybe a day or two, if you want to be a little generous), I think a phone call to the department would be understandable. 

Yeh, you're right, their within their time frame. I have to keep my cool. Thank you ?. 

So you've got some admits to more than 1 sch, which is your top choice, if I may ask?

On 3/22/2018 at 10:00 PM, TheWillToDo said:

Yeh, you're right, their within their time frame. I have to keep my cool. Thank you ?. 

So you've got some admits to more than 1 sch, which is your top choice, if I may ask?

I don't have any offers yet. I've been waitlisted for UBC, and am waiting to hear back from Vancouver Island University. I only applied to the two schools as this will be my third degree and I'm wanting to stay close to home. Did you apply to any other programs, or was it just SFU?

I'm sorry, I didn't know what I was thinking about; I thought you've got some admits. Well, you gonna get anyway, I hope!

I applied to University of Manitoba too for their Social Work program since April last year for the fall term this year. So its been 1 year now since I submitted my application with them and it's a total radio silence. My application has been under review ever since. You know what,  I've wanted to apply to VIU, I even created an account to submit my application and then suddenly lost interest. Maybe because of the exorbitant application fee for me as an international applicant, I don't know, lol. 

So here I am, I'm wallowing in self-pity, thinking why they're treating me like this lol

I heard back from PSU that I am waitlisted, and I got into UBC! I am an international student so that makes the accepting that offer a little more complicated, but I think I will go.  @DT96 I hope you are accepted from the waitlist and that you hear back from VIU soon! It really is a frustrating process. 

18 hours ago, Mun-Dungus said:

I heard back from PSU that I am waitlisted, and I got into UBC! I am an international student so that makes the accepting that offer a little more complicated, but I think I will go.  @DT96 I hope you are accepted from the waitlist and that you hear back from VIU soon! It really is a frustrating process. 

Congrats! And thank you for the well wishes. I spoke to Laura from UBC (grad program administrator) who said it's actually more like a wait pool than a waitlist, in that candidates on the "waitlist" are not ranked. Essentially, there are 2-3 profs whose interests reasonably line up with mine, so if an accepted student who would also be working with one of these profs declines, there's a pretty good chance I may get in. That said, it also makes it impossible to gauge the likelihood of getting in off the waitlist (compared to knowing my placement on an actual list).