Need help picking an MPP program

mppstudent23

I need help deciding between a couple programs, and some advice on how to negotiate for more funding.

1. Georgetown McCourt with 10k/year - they are willing to allow me to wait on the offer to give me a more accurate estimate of funding post April 15, but I need advice on what to say to ask for more funding! Still waiting on the rest of the financial aid package.

2. UChicago Harris - 15k/year, rest of the package covered with loans through Chicago 

3. JHU SAIS - 15k/year, only another 20k in loans, the rest I'd have to find externally

4. Tufts Fletcher - 10k/year, conditional offer with foreign language study required over the summer, still waiting on the remaining financial aid package

Help! Georgetown has been my top choice for a long time. Anyone know how to negotiate funding up, or know when they will release the remaining financial aid packages? Thanks!!

@mppstudent23 I think you have a decent amount of leverage with Georgetown for the following reasons:

1. You can point out Harris has offered you more money, and they probably steal a lot of McCourt admits because of funding.

2. Georgetown's tuition is more expensive than just about everywhere else. Rough tuition and fees costs for two years at McCourt is above $100k, while Harris is about $75k. You're not only getting more money from Harris, but that money is going further than money from McCourt. Without external funding, Harris could leave you with about $45k in debt, while Georgetown will be more like $80k. You can use that. 

Be polite, but upfront. Say McCourt is your top choice and you're really excited about the program, but the amount of aid you receive may sway your decision. Ask them asap so they can have a chance to come up with more funding before decision deadlines.

Hello people,

I am from India, 26 years old. I have been admitted to MPP/MPA programmes at Harris ($65k aid), SIPA ($70k aid), HKS (no aid) and Goldman (no aid).

My aim right after graduation is to work for US media for a few years before returning to India. If not the US media, I'll settle for a consulting firm or a think-tank in US. As things stand currently, my first choice is Harris. But I am confused whether the Harvard brand makes it worth the loan, or whether SIPA's location and Columbia's journalism school would provide me better opportunities in the media.

Can someone please help?

8 hours ago, Jigsaw_Saran said:

Hello people,

I am from India, 26 years old. I have been admitted to MPP/MPA programmes at Harris ($65k aid), SIPA ($70k aid), HKS (no aid) and Goldman (no aid).

My aim right after graduation is to work for US media for a few years before returning to India. If not the US media, I'll settle for a consulting firm or a think-tank in US. As things stand currently, my first choice is Harris. But I am confused whether the Harvard brand makes it worth the loan, or whether SIPA's location and Columbia's journalism school would provide me better opportunities in the media.

Can someone please help?

Hi, congrats on such great offers!

Just curious because I'm in a similar situation, why are you choosing Harris over SIPA? I am also currently deciding between the two, that's why I'm curious to know your take on this. I plan to work in the US in a think-tank for some time before heading back. So similar, trajectory, except that I want to work in the development sector. Would love to know your thoughts on the same. 

33 minutes ago, anmanya said:

Hi, congrats on such great offers!

Just curious because I'm in a similar situation, why are you choosing Harris over SIPA? I am also currently deciding between the two, that's why I'm curious to know your take on this. I plan to work in the US in a think-tank for some time before heading back. So similar, trajectory, except that I want to work in the development sector. Would love to know your thoughts on the same. 

Umm, I am not entirely sure to be honest. Harris has better academics than SIPA, and UChicago has a better reputation than Columbia, though I am not sure how the comparison between SIPA and Harris stands. I am open to changing my mind, and one of the factors is Chicago's weather.

What are you basing your decisions on?

12 minutes ago, Jigsaw_Saran said:

Umm, I am not entirely sure to be honest. Harris has better academics than SIPA, and UChicago has a better reputation than Columbia, though I am not sure how the comparison between SIPA and Harris stands. I am open to changing my mind, and one of the factors is Chicago's weather.

What are you basing your decisions on?

Also, Harris is more free market oriented than SIPA, to the best of my knowledge.