Syracuse v. Columbia - journalism programs & negotiating offers

maikaj

Hi everyone,

I got into really good journalism programs, and I've narrowed it down to Syracuse and Columbia. I received a highly competitive newspaper fellowship at Syracuse which includes a full tuition scholarship, $1400 monthly living stipend, health insurance, up to $1,500 to cover moving expenses to move there, $800 for travel to conferences, and up to $1,000 for books/other academic expenses. Meanwhile, at Columbia, I only got $10,000 for their 10-month MS in Journalism program.

Columbia is my dream school, and I never expected to get into an ivy. However, I do not want to take out any loans, and I've been advised by all my professors and mentors that I should not be paying for graduate school. After they found out I got into Columbia, a couple have told me that I can negotiate my offer with them if I want to. Do you all think it's worth negotiating? I personally think that Columbia would not match Syracuse's offer, especially since I went through such a long interview process with other finalists to get the fellowship. I just wanted to know what you all think so I don't feel crazy.

Thanks!

You can try to negotiate but there's a huge gap in the two offers so I doubt Columbia will (be able to) match what Syracuse has offered. TBH, going to an Ivy for journalism isn't going to make or break your career. The question really is how much you value the name. Do you value it enough to take out the loans?