CMU MIIS vs CMU MCDS

alicehzheng

Hey guys, I got accepted by the Master in Intelligent Information System (MIIS) and Master in Computational Data Science (MCDS) programs in Carnegie Mellon University.

Both programs are industry-oriented and are provided by the Language Technology Institute. 

As far as I'm concerned, the main difference is that MIIS is more focused on applying Machine Learning to Natural Language Processing as well as Text Mining while MCDS focuses more on Machine Learning itself as well as Data Science.

Personally, I'm interested in all the fields mentioned above so it doesn't matter which one I choose. However, a balance between study and social life means a lot to me. Please let me know which one (if any) has a chill environment and is less competitive. Thanks :)

• 1 year later...

Hey,

Congrats on the admit, I am interested to know what decision you finally took. I am planning to apply for fall 2020 and wanted to know about your profile at the time of application. From what I read so far, you are one of the few people who also considered social life as a factor. So with regards to that, how do you find the environment if you did end up joining CMU?