So... my ultimate goal is to attend a PhD program in Creative Writing. This year, I applied to various MFA programs because although I have a Master's degree already it is in Clinical Counseling. So far, I've been accepted to 5 programs, my two favorites being North Carolina Wilmington and the Stonecoast Program in Maine. Former is a full residency program that is considered one of the most innovative programs in the country (but otherwise, I believe it is only a mid-tier program), Stonecoast at Southern Maine U is a top ten low residency program. My questions is this: would it hurt my chances of getting into a decent PhD Creative Writing program that my MFA is from a (well respected) low residency program? I have to choose between these two programs soon and the PhD suitability is an important factor for me to consider. Thank you for the insight!

Edited by Perszona

I don't think the whole "rankings" thing really means all that much anymore, as far as your concern about tiers—did you get funding from either? The most valuable part of an MFA program is the time to focus on your writing, so if one of them would allow you to put 100% into working with your mentors and completing your work, and the other would require you to work while in the program, that would be more of a deciding factor for me anyway. I think the PhD question is tough to answer as far as them considering low res "worse" than full res; it's kind of like how many MFA programs are still very anti-genre while some more modern/innovative programs welcome genre. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Hmmmmmmmmm said:

Got into a PhD in creative writing with an MA in lit, not an MFA. And so did the other person they accepted this year. All that matters is your writing. Prestige matters in the job market.

Okay, but did you get your MA from a high ranking school, or just average? Everyone always says all that matter is the writing, but I do wonder if where one gets his/her BA/MA/MFA matters or not, too. 

• 5 months later...

I got my MA from a non prestigious school that is not even in America. I have dropped out of school on three separate occasions, I had decent marks but my transcripts were far from perfect.

All that matters is your writing.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:43 PM, Perszona said:

Okay, but did you get your MA from a high ranking school, or just average? Everyone always says all that matter is the writing, but I do wonder if where one gets his/her BA/MA/MFA matters or not, too.