Having to retake classes before attending

One of the schools I was admitted to said that I need to retake a course with a C or better to attend. However, I got a B- in the class! I'm pretty confused because they even listed my undergrad as a place I could retake it. How does that make sense that I have to retake a class, but I could do worse than I did before? Like I could literally retake it with the same professor and do worse to have to attend there. Idk I feel like it has to be a mistake or it' just a ridiculous stipulation. Is there a way I can address this while sounding respectul?

I would definitely email them something along the lines of 'dear school, I received an email stating x, however my personal records state that I received a B- in the class. I wanted to confirm that I do need to retake this class, since the email stated that I needed a C or better, which I have." Since that's time + money wasted. Regardless of phrasing I would definitely point it out since that sounds like a mistake or their part.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:00 AM, csd123 said:

One of the schools I was admitted to said that I need to retake a course with a C or better to attend. However, I got a B- in the class! I'm pretty confused because they even listed my undergrad as a place I could retake it. How does that make sense that I have to retake a class, but I could do worse than I did before? Like I could literally retake it with the same professor and do worse to have to attend there. Idk I feel like it has to be a mistake or it' just a ridiculous stipulation. Is there a way I can address this while sounding respectul?

What school was it?

I would say what @snoves suggested. Since in fact a B- is better than a C. It's interesting, because my graduate program actually does not recommend retaking a class even if you got a C in the course just to improves grades. The reason being they say is that if you have to retake a course it will not look good to the professors reviewing the application because they may think you would have difficulty with graduate coursework. Another reason is the more undergraduate coursework you have the smaller impact the grade from reviewing the course will have on your overall gpa. So therefore I would clarify with the department before spending money on unnecessarily retaking a course. Another reason why I like my program, they are straightforward with you!