Asking About Admissions Status?

DUguy333

We've all discussed how its perfectly acceptable to call the department and ask whether or not our application is complete, but does the same go for acceptance? Ostensibly, they notify you about acceptance but is it OK to call inquire about your status in this regard? Thoughts?

By my way of thinking, this would be okay if you hadn't heard anything from the institution--say, two weeks after their stated notification date--and you could confirm that other applicants to the same program had been notified of rejection / acceptance.

You can definitely contact them and ask what the status is, or when they expect to notify you. When I asked I said it was because I was starting to hear back from other places and needed to know about potential interview/visit weekend conflicts.

Just make sure not to bother them again for a couple of weeks.

It is way too early! I used to work in an admissions office and we were generally exasperated by the people who called starting early February every couple of weeks. Only call as it gets closer to April if you haven't heard anything - you may be waitlisted or there may actually be a decision for them to share.

I used to work in an admissions office and we were generally exasperated by the people who called starting early February every couple of weeks

in your experience, can people working in admissions offices be persuaded to "lose" other promising applications if, say, one were to send them cookies, airline tickets, cash, etc. "as a friendly gesture"?

in your experience, can people working in admissions offices be persuaded to "lose" other promising applications if, say, one were to send them cookies, airline tickets, cash, etc. "as a friendly gesture"?

Haha. That would be great. How big is the cash gift? ;-)

I work overseas so it is complicated to arrange flights and airline tickets, etc. to visit. So I have emailed a couple schools asking politely "if it might be possible to give me a rough estimate when I can expect to hear regarding admission decisions." I have a legitimate reason to need to ask as I really do live overseas and booking flight tickets ASAP is a financial issue -- the longer I wait, the more I might have to pay. If you do not have such a truly pressing issue, I'd wait at least until one week after decisions were made at your program last year.

There is no real harm in asking politely, however, when you can expect to hear. Do not ask if you got in or not. That is unfair, as there are strict rules about releasing this info in many cases.

Still, no one will get accepted or rejected based on a polite email that asks only for a timeframe. Sure secretaries get annoyed, but at another level, they understand what is going on. People are nervous.

One more thing: if you are already rejected, than you have nothing to lose -- no secretary can punish you more.

If you are accepted or waitlisted, and ask, and they see that, they will NOT be annoyed. You are obviously a serious applicant, and psychologically, they will be sympathetic to your asking.

For these reasons, go ahead and send that polite generally phrased email if you must. Again, it probably can't hurt you, and it could end the suspense somewhat.

Canadianpolsci, you are right that no one will be accepted or rejected because of phone calls, but there were always those few who started calling early and often. No one minds if it's mid-March and you inquire, everyone will remember your name if you start calling two days after you submit your app and expect a response. Believe me, it happens. But yes, if other people have clearly heard from your program and you haven't - call. If you don't think anyone has heard from the program and it's early, it probably won't do any good.

there were always those few who started calling early and often. No one minds if it's mid-March and you inquire, everyone will remember your name if you start calling two days after you submit your app and expect a response. Believe me, it happens.

what if you give them a fake name? do they actually look you up to see whether you've applied? aaaaaaaa i'm dying here!!! this is taking years off my life. my eye has been twitching for a week now.

what if you give them a fake name? do they actually look you up to see whether you've applied? aaaaaaaa i'm dying here!!! this is taking years off my life. my eye has been twitching for a week now.

How could you get an answer with a fake name? Haha. I understand the insanity - knowing how it works doesn't make it any less nerve wracking!

So, the deal is... I asked the department and got this message on 08/Feb:

"I believe you will hear from the Graduate School about 2-3 weeks from

now. Thank you for making contact. Please feel free to write again

if you have not heard by the end of the month."

I was happy when I heard back first but now I think it could be bad news coming. To be honest, I keep reading the email over and over and each time I think something different. I am going crazy with this.

PLEASE, let me know your opinion... Is this likely to be good or bad news???

Thanks.

So, the deal is... I asked my department and got this message on 08/Feb:

"I believe you will hear from the Graduate School about 2-3 weeks from

now. Thank you for making contact. Please feel free to write again

if you have not heard by the end of the month."

I was happy when I heard back first but now I think it could be bad news coming. To be honest, I keep reading the email over and over and each time I think something different. I am going crazy with this.

PLEASE, let me know your opinion... Is this likely to be good or bad news???

Thanks.

It's probably with the committee, and they probably really don't have an answer for you. Now, if they had said something like your admissions decision has been mailed to you or will be mailed to you shortly, then I would tell you you've probably been rejected. But it just sounds like they haven't made their decision yet.

It's probably with the committee, and they probably really don't have an answer for you. Now, if they had said something like your admissions decision has been mailed to you or will be mailed to you shortly, then I would tell you you've probably been rejected. But it just sounds like they haven't made their decision yet.

Really? Hmmm...

Thanks! But one thing the email does say is that I should hear from the Grad School... if I were to receive an offer by email or phone would that come from the Grad School or the Dept itself???

That's because at most schools, all applications have to be "approved" by the grad school, even after the department says yes. This is more a rubber stamp than anything else for Ph.D. programs. It's mostly from keeping MA or certificate programs from just accepting everyone and dragging down the reputation of a school, but I've never heard of it being a problem. Offers could come from the dept. or from the grad school, depending on the school's policy.

As for needing to hear early in order to schedule flights, I wouldn't worry about that so much. Most schools will pay for you to fly in for accepted students weekends.

That's because at most schools, all applications have to be "approved" by the grad school, even after the department says yes. This is more a rubber stamp than anything else for Ph.D. programs. It's mostly from keeping MA or certificate programs from just accepting everyone and dragging down the reputation of a school, but I've never heard of it being a problem. Offers could come from the dept. or from the grad school, depending on the school's policy.

So, are you saying you think I am in??? :-)

Actually, that's the line we used on almost everyone unless we had literally just mailed an acceptance letter to them. Everyone else got the - "You should hear in the next few weeks" no matter what the status - rejected, in committee, etc.