Hey folks, 

I've been accepted to both Emerson and BU for an M.S. in Journalism. BU is crazy expensive, and the scholarship I was offered in my admissions letter covers ~23% of the total tuition cost. Emerson is significantly less expensive and my scholarship offer covers about 20% of the total tuition cost. When I leave Emerson, I'll be in significantly less debt than if I go to BU. 

There are pros and cons to both schools, and I've weighed them heavily. I attended BU's COM grad open house this past weekend, and I was genuinely unimpressed. Instead of giving us a full slate of Journalism-specific events like the other programs got, most of our weekend consisted of attending the Power of Narrative conference. Don't get me wrong. The Power of Narrative conference was incredible, but I spent a ton of money to attend the Open House and didn't feel like my concerns/questions/best interests were addressed. I haven't had a chance to visit Emerson. 

This is a huge decision, and I really don't want to make my decision based on price tag alone, but it seems like I'm headed in that direction. Is anyone else dealing with a similar kind of struggle? 

If you weren't impressed by BU, why would you go into a bigger pile of debt to go there? There's nothing wrong with deciding based on price tag. You are the one who will have to pay back those loans, not anyone else, so it makes sense that it should be a huge factor in your decision-making process.

16 hours ago, rising_star said:

If you weren't impressed by BU, why would you go into a bigger pile of debt to go there? There's nothing wrong with deciding based on price tag. You are the one who will have to pay back those loans, not anyone else, so it makes sense that it should be a huge factor in your decision-making process.

BU has the better network and more clout in the Journalism field. Both schools have their pros and cons. My thinking is that the salary ceiling after BU is higher than the salary ceiling after Emerson, making the management of either debt similarly manageable if that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, shm774 said:

My thinking is that the salary ceiling after BU is higher than the salary ceiling after Emerson, making the management of either debt similarly manageable if that makes sense. 

I bolded the most relevant part. I would so some digging online and by talking to the career center at each to verify that this is truly the case. Because your thinking on this could very well be wrong.