Grad schools best for industry?

caffeinatedstudies

Hi!

I'm interested in going into biotech/pharmaceuticals after I complete my PhD. I am currently looking into schools that might offer better resources or better networking for industry. Are there any that have particularly good relationships with industry and/or offer amazing support and resources?

Currently, I attend UC San Diego and I understand that they have a decent relationship with the San Diego biotech community.

Thanks!

Hi there! :)

I don't know exactly what your research area of interest is but I can tell you more about my program's opportunities for biotech stuff. I'm at UW-Madison in the biochemistry program (IPiB). I would say there are a lot of resources here for someone interested in biotech. A couple of the big biotech companies have branches in Madison and there are a lot of smaller start-ups around too. One of the best aspects, I would say, is the Biotechnology Training Program which is funded through an NIH training grant to the school. It gives students the opportunity to do a fully-funded internship with a biotech company as well as a lot of career development opportunities for someone interested in that kind of career! 

As far as other universities that cater to biotech-minded applicants, I've heard good things about both UCSF and UNC-Chapel Hill. Best of luck with everything!! 

On 3/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, caffeinatedstudies said:

Hi!

I'm interested in going into biotech/pharmaceuticals after I complete my PhD. I am currently looking into schools that might offer better resources or better networking for industry. Are there any that have particularly good relationships with industry and/or offer amazing support and resources?

Currently, I attend UC San Diego and I understand that they have a decent relationship with the San Diego biotech community.

Thanks!

I also want to second CozyEnzymes and say you should look into UW-Madison.  The program I'm attending this upcoming fall, Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, offers an opportunity to do a summer internship with a biotech/pharma company (with advisor's permission of course).  I also just learned about the Biotechnology Training Program here.  There are a number of companies here which have a good rapport and tie to the university, and students have had success finding jobs in the field as well.

In general, I think any university that has a good number of biotech companies in the area may have the opportunities you are looking for.  In addition to the above stated universities, maybe look into the Boston/Cambridge area, like Harvard, MIT, Tufts, etc?  I know that region has a lot of biotech companies, so maybe you'll find some programs there as well.  This will also depend on what you are interested in studying.

• 2 months later...

Would you guys know about which is a better option between NYU and Northwestern University for Biotechnology opportunities after graduation for industry and network. 

Edited by kaybio

Would you guys know about which is a better option between NYU and Northwestern University for Biotechnology opportunities after graduation for industry and network. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 10:19 PM, kaybio said:

•  

Probably whichever is closest to more biotech companies.