UC Berkeley 2018

waltzforzizi

I swear it is "tough" to find certain information on Cal on this website. Is it only me? Maybe it's just my field.....

Anyway, hello! How many people will be attending Cal come Fall 2018? Are any users currently enrolled?  

I'll be starting Cal come fall and will major in archaeology.

Edited by waltzforzizi

Howdy, haven't quite made my decision yet but I think I'm 90% going to accept. I've been digging around for some information and yeah.. it's a little sparse although that may be just my field as well. Have you looked around at living arrangements? That's been my main concern...from casually browsing I've found the results to be somewhat discouraging.

14 hours ago, DnD said:

Howdy, haven't quite made my decision yet but I think I'm 90% going to accept. I've been digging around for some information and yeah.. it's a little sparse although that may be just my field as well. Have you looked around at living arrangements? That's been my main concern...from casually browsing I've found the results to be somewhat discouraging.

I have searched a few areas on Craigslist and found some promising things. I also applied to the graduate coop housing they have. I'm not really willing to pay over 900 for a room. 

What is your financial situation? I'll be living off a fellowship, so, yeah. I currently live abroad but will return and work a few months and save before I start.

Hey there! Count me in. I'll also be coming to Cal for my Ph.D. this fall!

I'm on a 5-year fellowship. Also living abroad at the moment! During visiting days, most of the graduate students told me that they went at the end of July to look at housing, since that's when most leases renew. They all suggested craigslist. I personally applied for graduate housing and am looking at applying to the Co-Op as well, but will definitely be perusing craigslist over the next few months.  

12 hours ago, madamoiselle said:

Hey there! Count me in. I'll also be coming to Cal for my Ph.D. this fall!

I'm on a 5-year fellowship. Also living abroad at the moment! During visiting days, most of the graduate students told me that they went at the end of July to look at housing, since that's when most leases renew. They all suggested craigslist. I personally applied for graduate housing and am looking at applying to the Co-Op as well, but will definitely be perusing craigslist over the next few months.  

Aye, this is weird. I'm also on a 5-year fellowship, haha. Too many things matching up. How were you able to visit the campus? Actually, how is the campus? Is it "clean"? Does the campus live up to the prestige of Berkeley?

I saw a video of Harvard's dining hall, not comparing Berk to Harv, but man it was impressive. Of course, the dining commons will be way different. I just like buildings and large spaces aha.

@waltzforzizi crazy right?! I got to visit because my department had visiting days during my work's break and they reimbursed my trip!

Before applications and while doing official visits, I got to visit a few schools; 2 ivies, one very urban campus, a few good private schools. I truly thought Berkeley was the most beautiful! Keep in mind that it's west coast, so it won't be "East Coast Preppy," although the school is definitely well-kept and has magnificent buildings. I love more Spanish/Mediterranean architecture, and the weather was stunning. The campus overlooks San Francisco Bay, and there's tons of green space. I thought the area around campus was pretty nice as well. Tons of little shops, book stores, coffee places, etc. There is a considerable homeless population around campus, but I went to a large, urban state school and I'm used to it, so they didn't bother me (they don't seem to bother most kids at all, they can just be a little loud).

To be quite honest, it was prettier than it is in photos. The terrain is varied, and I thought the energy was nice! Very involved students who work their butts off, but were still sunbathing and all of that. Doe library is one of the most beautiful libraries I've seen-- marble, classic, mahogany, the whole 9 yards. I was completely awestruck, even after having seen other campus libraries!

I definitely suggest visiting campus if you can. I was honestly pretty set on another school before visiting, but the campus and my department's energy completely won me over.