comparative literature programs

Hi,

So has anyone been hearing back from complit programs? Or Berkeley Rhetoric, for that matter?

I applied to complit places, but most of then have traded me to French depts, which is OK, I suppose. Does anyone have any advice? Would you take a degree in the field that you want at a lower ranked school over a degree that you don't necessarily want at a better school with more opportunities? How limiting is the actual PHD degree field? I should mention that I want to be a prof of gender and sexuality studies (via literary analysis) so perhaps my actual field isnt that important...

Any advice much appreciated!

J

If programs are passing you off to French, you may not have emphasized your interest in learning another national literature enough. My initial instinct on my SOP was to harp on my abilities, interests, and experience in one language, but then someone pointed out that I may as well have been applying to a program in that language, rather than Comp Lit.

At one school I visited, I met a girl who had changed from language departments to the Comp Lit program, so I think inter-departmental changes are possible at some institutions. You should ask if you have your heart set on Comp Lit. (Maybe it's a funding thing though?)

I'm going to try to switch, but I'm not too disappointed.... mainly because I only have 1.5 foreign languages (French and reading knowledge of German) and I've been living and working/studyig in France for almost two years so i'm comfortable in French. And I have no real desire or motivation to learn any more languages...

So I think I'm just going to accept that I should go with French :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi I've just been introduced to this site by a friend, been doing lots of reading, it seems lot of Complit applicants have received admission results whether it's accept/reject (NU, NYU, WashU, Duke, Columbia, Irvine..). I haven't heard from these schools ever since those "application submitted" auto-replies, feeling a little out of the loop right now :(

Should I brace for rejects from these schools to ease up on the frustration?

All I got so far is: UM waitlist, Illinois accept, UPenn reject

Hi sashababie, I do think a lot of those schools have started notifying, but I've heard that at least Irvine will continue to accept applicants through March (or some of March). Which Columbia dept did you apply through?

Good luck! :)

Actually, Vaino, when I spoke with Irvine's Comp Lit graduate secretary on Monday, she told me that the department hasn't actually sent out any decisions yet. I did see a couple of people who said they'd been accepted on the board via email, so I'm not sure what that means, but the secretary did seem very encouraging.

I received an informal offer of admission from UC Irvine two weeks ago and I know one other person who did as well... "with funding details to follow." I recently emailed to find out what's up, and it seems like they still haven't sent out the formal ones, as they are still waiting on funding finalization.

I'm pretty sure they have an internal wait list, which is why a lot of people haven't been notified.

Yes, I know of a few people who have already been admitted to Irvine. Not sure if it's rolling admissions or if they're keeping a waitlist, but I think there's certainly still hope for those of you who haven't heard back :D

I'm getting anxious waiting for the University of Washington....did anyone else apply there? They told me they'd have decisions by March 15th, but that seems awfully late!

• 11 months later...

One year later...!

I've applied to Toronto, Chicago, Oregon, Minnesota and Madison. So far, I've been rejected at Oregon and Minnesota and am pretty heartbroken over the former, it being my top choice. I regret my decision not to apply to German programs, as well!

I expect a rejection at Toronto due to their lack of funding and rejection from Chicago (this week) due to its status as my stretch school... apparently I'm shooting for the moon. Perhaps Madison is still a feasible option.

Anyone else received news?

Hey there! AH I just want to finish hearing already. I applied to way too many schools and am still waiting on five: Penn, UC Irvine, UCSB, WUSTL, and Harvard. Not feeling very optimistic at all about those. The only school we both applied to was Chicago, and I got my lovely rejection letter in the mail today! Maybe not having heard yet is good news for you? Here's hoping!

I almost applied to Madison the program looked really cool, and I heard great things about it. Good luck!

Mmm... we'll see. I imagine they've contacted the accepted students via email already, but then again, I have no experience applying to graduate school. Best of luck with the rest of your choices---and congratulations on getting waitlisted at two. MUCH better than hearing a flat-out "no"!

thanks! yeah - it's ridiculously confusing. what I've read on here is the easy decisions come first - whether acceptances or rejections, then the harder ones come later, but I'm sure it varies from school to school - anyway good luck as much with surviving the wait as with everything else!

Still no word from Chicago... ! My mailbox was empty (save some useless gym advert) today. Peculiar...

I guess, as I'm still raw from my Oregon rejection, I'd rather not receive two consecutive responses. My poor undergrad ego can only endure so much!