Jump to content

University of Minnesota status update?


firefoxquantum

Recommended Posts

So, I've been waiting for a month and a half now and my status is still 'Awaiting Program Decision'.

 

Sending the department an email just returns an automated generic BS bot reply. April 15th is coming up and I have two offers. UofM is above these in my list.

 

I'm still waiting, anyone heard if the results are out yet for CS Masters program?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Nels Nelson said:

Similar scenario for me. Civil and Environmental Engineering program for me, and yeah it is April 11th and still no response from UMN. I also have two offers but UMN is my number one and I can't get through to anyone.

Good luck

You too pal, which other two do you have on the confirmed list?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, firefoxquantum said:

You too pal, which other two do you have on the confirmed list?

Carnegie Mellon and Montana State University. What about you?

I honestly think UMN is avoiding me at this point, maybe it is their policy not to talk to people on a waitlist (I don't know if I am on a waitlist or not though)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Nels Nelson said:

Carnegie Mellon and Montana State University. What about you?

I honestly think UMN is avoiding me at this point, maybe it is their policy not to talk to people on a waitlist (I don't know if I am on a waitlist or not though)

Wow, those are incredible. Congrats! Well, I had a weak profile so I applied to and got into University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and Georgia State. I also have a conditional offer from Michigan Tech but I'm legit confused if UMN rejects me, which one should I choose...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, firefoxquantum said:

Wow, those are incredible. Congrats! Well, I had a weak profile so I applied to and got into University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and Georgia State. I also have a conditional offer from Michigan Tech but I'm legit confused if UMN rejects me, which one should I choose...

 

 

Hmm well I really only looked into schools that are doing research in my hyper-specific field of microbial bioremediation, so I don't know about what is a better CS program. I think you have to see which school will help give you the biggest assist in the direction you want to go. If you want to do research in a specific thing, look at the faculty and what research they are doing. If you want to go into industry and career right after your MS look at the career centers and career resources the two schools have, some schools will also post average salaries of graduates which can be a useful metric. If you're confident you will get paid well in a CS career I would concentrate less on the cost of tuition (which you can finance with loans if need be hopefully) and more on where it will take you - if you are less confident then maybe consider the less expensive option. 

I just sent a denial to Montana like 4 minutes ago, it felt so weird and hard to shut a door like that - but that is life sometimes I suppose.

I asked for an extension and Carnegie Mellon is giving me an extra week to decide, hopefully UMN gets back to me in that time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nels Nelson said:

Hmm well I really only looked into schools that are doing research in my hyper-specific field of microbial bioremediation, so I don't know about what is a better CS program. I think you have to see which school will help give you the biggest assist in the direction you want to go. If you want to do research in a specific thing, look at the faculty and what research they are doing. If you want to go into industry and career right after your MS look at the career centers and career resources the two schools have, some schools will also post average salaries of graduates which can be a useful metric. If you're confident you will get paid well in a CS career I would concentrate less on the cost of tuition (which you can finance with loans if need be hopefully) and more on where it will take you - if you are less confident then maybe consider the less expensive option. 

I just sent a denial to Montana like 4 minutes ago, it felt so weird and hard to shut a door like that - but that is life sometimes I suppose.

I asked for an extension and Carnegie Mellon is giving me an extra week to decide, hopefully UMN gets back to me in that time. 

Aha, thank you for that. Pretty much what my faculties and parents have been telling me.  These days I'm looking at the faculties, number of research labs and the projects they undertake. I'll be honest, Campus wise and with respect to the overall atmosphere UNCC comes out at the top out of these three. Even though, I havent been offered aid, TA, RA and on-campus jobs seem to be pretty easily available plus Charlotte is a great place to be in. Somehow I don't prefer (yet) Atlanta considering GSU is basically an Urban Campus. UNCC used to be typecasted as a commuter campus but it's growing pretty good.

 

The career and job aspects of both these choices seem to present almost equal opportunities so that isn't a factor I could consider. Declining an offer can be tough, this is my first ever application cycle and I will be declining at least two universities. Havent asked for extension yet, reckon I should do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, firefoxquantum said:

Aha, thank you for that. Pretty much what my faculties and parents have been telling me.  These days I'm looking at the faculties, number of research labs and the projects they undertake. I'll be honest, Campus wise and with respect to the overall atmosphere UNCC comes out at the top out of these three. Even though, I havent been offered aid, TA, RA and on-campus jobs seem to be pretty easily available plus Charlotte is a great place to be in. Somehow I don't prefer (yet) Atlanta considering GSU is basically an Urban Campus. UNCC used to be typecasted as a commuter campus but it's growing pretty good.

 

The career and job aspects of both these choices seem to present almost equal opportunities so that isn't a factor I could consider. Declining an offer can be tough, this is my first ever application cycle and I will be declining at least two universities. Havent asked for extension yet, reckon I should do?

yea I reckon asking for an extension is a good idea if UMN is your top choice.

Just heard from the Prof I have been working with there and he said the money is real tight in their department this year so he isn't able to make offers himself and that I didn't make the cut for scholarships from the college :( . Still don't know about if I got in or not, but I expect/hope I'll hear something after the 15th. This funding situation could likely be an environmental engineering specific thing what with the gutting the EPA and all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nels Nelson said:

yea I reckon asking for an extension is a good idea if UMN is your top choice.

Just heard from the Prof I have been working with there and he said the money is real tight in their department this year so he isn't able to make offers himself and that I didn't make the cut for scholarships from the college :( . Still don't know about if I got in or not, but I expect/hope I'll hear something after the 15th. This funding situation could likely be an environmental engineering specific thing what with the gutting the EPA and all.

:( Bruh,

Just received an email asking me to check my status and turns out I was rejected. I have written back an email to the graduate counselor asking for a quick follow-up and where I missed out. ngl feeling defeated at the moment. I was expecting to get in, even if without funding (MS). really had my hopes high, I would have been stoked..  This broke my spirits but dad says not to worry since I have three offers 'you are lucky you have a choice'. Anyways wanted to update you on the proceedings, and now I really really hope you end up getting in. I don't really know you but with whatever little we've talked about you seem like a genuine dude. It would be great if that happens...

Edited by firefoxquantum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/13/2018 at 12:00 AM, firefoxquantum said:

:( Bruh,

Just received an email asking me to check my status and turns out I was rejected. I have written back an email to the graduate counselor asking for a quick follow-up and where I missed out. ngl feeling defeated at the moment. I was expecting to get in, even if without funding (MS). really had my hopes high, I would have been stoked..  This broke my spirits but dad says not to worry since I have three offers 'you are lucky you have a choice'. Anyways wanted to update you on the proceedings, and now I really really hope you end up getting in. I don't really know you but with whatever little we've talked about you seem like a genuine dude. It would be great if that happens...

Sorry to hear you did not get in :( . It is good you have a choice, I have a friend who only got into one after applying to 12 or so and I can tell he is bummed (though also grateful).

I did get in! They waited to the end of the day April 20th to tell me, basically the last possible moment they could have waited until before I would have accepted Carnegie Mellon. I really wish they would have been more communicative (and they are currently far less communicative than I would like). But yes, I got in, my wife and I are super excited - it will be super helpful to be there with my family as we are having our first child. I didn't get any kind of scholarship package (surprised) but still I will apply for funding and will make it work. Also a professor there said I may be able to RA in his lab.

 

All the best,

Nels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use