Audiology 2018 wait list

aud_hopeful1995

Hi - just wanted to start this forum for anyone who has been waitlisted at either Western, Dal or UBC for audiology (September 2018). I'm waitlisted at Western, just found out this morning. Anyone else in the same boat as me? Does anyone happen to know how likely getting off the waitlist is, and how many people they actually put on the waitlist? I'm so nervously waiting!! The waiting is definitely the worst part :( thanks guys!! 

I've been waitlisted at Western as well. I heard that Western typically puts more people on the wait list then they would accept into the program. For example, a couple of years ago they had 22 spots and waitlisted 25 applicants. How likely it is to get off the wait list largely depends on how many people accept their offers. The high variability from year to year makes it hard to predict, but it looks like 3 to 5 people are usually accepted off the wait list, so there is still a decent chance considering some applicants wait listed at Western may be offered admission elsewhere and accept that offer instead.

Waiting is the worst!! I've decided to start planning my life as though I got rejected, so hopefully I won't be too devastated if I don't get off the wait list. Best of luck, and keep me posted!

21 hours ago, Mel5693 said:

I've been waitlisted at Western as well. I heard that Western typically puts more people on the wait list then they would accept into the program. For example, a couple of years ago they had 22 spots and waitlisted 25 applicants. How likely it is to get off the wait list largely depends on how many people accept their offers. The high variability from year to year makes it hard to predict, but it looks like 3 to 5 people are usually accepted off the wait list, so there is still a decent chance considering some applicants wait listed at Western may be offered admission elsewhere and accept that offer instead.

Waiting is the worst!! I've decided to start planning my life as though I got rejected, so hopefully I won't be too devastated if I don't get off the wait list. Best of luck, and keep me posted!

Omg wow that sucks they put more people on the waitlist than how many they actually accept :( but thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it. Right! Waiting has been terrible. That's a good idea, I'm gonna plan to do the same. I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Did you apply to Dal and UBC too? Thank you! Best of luck to you as well, I definitely will keep you posted :) 

5 hours ago, AUD-1994 said:

Also on Western's waiting list. I got accepted to an American school but, I'm really not sure I can afford it.

Congrats on being accepted to the American school! But yeah, that's exactly why I didn't apply, it's unfortunate that the cost is so high there because there are so many more audiology schools. I don't like how Canada only has 3, the chances are so low. Best of luck to you for the Western wait list! I'm so anxious to hear back from them.

5 hours ago, aud_hopeful1995 said:

Omg wow that sucks they put more people on the waitlist than how many they actually accept :( but thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it. Right! Waiting has been terrible. That's a good idea, I'm gonna plan to do the same. I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Did you apply to Dal and UBC too? Thank you! Best of luck to you as well, I definitely will keep you posted :) 

I only applied to Western. I called the admissions office and was told that there are 28 spots and 25 applicants wait listed this year. Did you apply to Dal or UBC?

Although this is a stressful situation to be in, it's really nice to talk about it with someone who is in the same boat... I'm sure my friends and family are getting sick of me blabbing on about grad school by now lol.

On 2018. 4. 5. at 12:15 PM, Mel5693 said:

I only applied to Western. I called the admissions office and was told that there are 28 spots and 25 applicants wait listed this year. Did you apply to Dal or UBC?

Although this is a stressful situation to be in, it's really nice to talk about it with someone who is in the same boat... I'm sure my friends and family are getting sick of me blabbing on about grad school by now lol.

I also only applied to Western and this is the 2nd time to apply. If I failed again, I do not know what to do for the next step. It really sucks they put 25 people on the waitlist.  I try not to expect too much, but everyday looking at the phone? When you called the admin office, did they also tell you your # of turn? 

13 hours ago, Hopeful_2018 said:

I also only applied to Western and this is the 2nd time to apply. If I failed again, I do not know what to do for the next step. It really sucks they put 25 people on the waitlist.  I try not to expect too much, but everyday looking at the phone? When you called the admin office, did they also tell you your # of turn? 

They didn't tell me my position on the wait list, unfortunately. I'm always looking at my phone too, it's terrible! I don't think they will start calling until after April 17th anyways, since that's when the first round offers expire, but that doesn't stop me from constantly checking my phone. Were you wait listed last year as well? Best of luck to you!

21 hours ago, Mel5693 said:

They didn't tell me my position on the wait list, unfortunately. I'm always looking at my phone too, it's terrible! I don't think they will start calling until after April 17th anyways, since that's when the first round offers expire, but that doesn't stop me from constantly checking my phone. Were you wait listed last year as well? Best of luck to you!

I was not even waitlisted last year. Best of luck to you either! I hope we can  each other on campus!?

Edited by Hopeful_2018

On 08/04/2018 at 6:49 AM, Hopeful_2018 said:

I was not even waitlisted last year. Best of luck to you either! I hope we can  each other on campus!?

How many applicants applied last year? And did you do more volunteering or improve your grades to get waitlisted this year?

Edited by AUD-1994

19 hours ago, AUD-1994 said:

How many applicants applied last year? And did you do more volunteering or improve your grades to get waitlisted this year?

I deleted the e-mail but as far as I remember, it was about 110 people who applied. My grades are same but did more volunteering at the same clinic I did jobshadow last year. 

17 minutes ago, Student123456 said:

I also applied to Western’s Audiology program and was waitlisted too. I’m so nervous, I keep checking the phone... has anyone received a call yet? 

Just got one.

11 minutes ago, aud_hopeful1995 said:

No :( I'm starting to lose hope... have you? I wonder if they're done making calls or if they're still making them

No I haven’t received a call either. I actually called and Janet said only two spots opened up for the wait list. They already called those two people and they accepted their offers so now they have a full class. I was pretty upset after that. You may want to call to confirm though. 

2 hours ago, Student123456 said:

No I haven’t received a call either. I actually called and Janet said only two spots opened up for the wait list. They already called those two people and they accepted their offers so now they have a full class. I was pretty upset after that. You may want to call to confirm though. 

Aw man, that sucks :( I'm upset too. But thanks for letting me know!