Conditional Offer - What does this mean ?

vsgajd

Question

Hello everyone, 

I got an email from the chair of the department I was applying to. It goes like this, " We are pleased to offer you condition admission. But before we can offer you an official admission with financial assistance, we must match you with a research advisor who can provide financial support."  What does this mean ? Do I write to the Professor I was in contact with again ? Is this a sure offer? I don't know if I can celebrate yet :\ 

Any leads will be much appreciated. 

1 answer to this question

9 minutes ago, vsgajd said:

Hello everyone, 

I got an email from the chair of the department I was applying to. It goes like this, " We are pleased to offer you condition admission. But before we can offer you an official admission with financial assistance, we must match you with a research advisor who can provide financial support."  What does this mean ? Do I write to the Professor I was in contact with again ? Is this a sure offer? I don't know if I can celebrate yet :\ 

Any leads will be much appreciated. 

Are you in engineering or some lab-based discipline? Because this usually happens in these disciplines, particularly in universities with less money.  You would basically get a fellowship in which you have to work as an RA for a professor part-time (20 hours a week). They need to figure out if some professor would like to work with you and has money.

At least they are doing the match for you. Some ask you to start emailing professor asking if they have funding. 

If you really like this program, yes, contact the professor and say that this program is your top choice and you are looking forward to hearing back from them. Something like that. If you have better offers or offers from programs you like more, then go with those, and decline the offer.

Edited by MrsPhD