UCF vs. Delaware

S-Kyo

Can someone inform me about the political science programs in UCF or Delaware? In terms of general ranking, Delaware is much better than UCF, but I have been told that UCF has better scholars etc and method training. I hope some of you could inform me about the schools. Thank you.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:50 PM, CPRel said:

Can someone inform me about the political science programs in UCF or Delaware? In terms of general ranking, Delaware is much better than UCF, but I have been told that UCF has better scholars etc and method training. I hope some of you could inform me about the schools. Thank you.

UCF does not have a political science program. The Ph.D. program at UCF is called security studies and probably for this reason, it is not even in the ranking. They have OK faculty and three years of funding.  

2 hours ago, Sheldon2017 said:

UCF does not have a political science program. The Ph.D. program at UCF is called security studies and probably for this reason, it is not even in the ranking. They have OK faculty and three years of funding.  

Yes, you are right, they have security studies Ph.D in the department of political science and yes that is why we could not find it in the ranking.

Do you know anything about Delaware? In terms of placement which one would be the better chance? Does it make difference as political science phd or security studies phd if both are offered by political science department?

UCF PolSci is a big department, it has over 36 scholars, and some of them are really known in the security studies. It seems they are better at teaching (quantitative) method.

Delaware is also good at political psychology and they have 1-2 scholars that I could work (psych+middle east). I do not know method training in Delaware.

I am more comperativist and I am interested in the middle eastern studies-ethnic/religious politics-political behavior.  

8 hours ago, CPRel said:

Yes, you are right, they have security studies Ph.D in the department of political science and yes that is why we could not find it in the ranking.

Do you know anything about Delaware? In terms of placement which one would be the better chance? Does it make difference as political science phd or security studies phd if both are offered by political science department?

UCF PolSci is a big department, it has over 36 scholars, and some of them are really known in the security studies. It seems they are better at teaching (quantitative) method.

Delaware is also good at political psychology and they have 1-2 scholars that I could work (psych+middle east). I do not know method training in Delaware.

I am more comperativist and I am interested in the middle eastern studies-ethnic/religious politics-political behavior.  

I do not have any specific information about Delaware but I am sure that unlike UCF, it is an established program. I do not think it makes a big difference whether you get a security studies degree or political science but if you are interested in getting a job in intelligence organization, I believe UCF is a better option. However, given the limited resources UCF has, if you want to find a job in academia, I would suggest you avoid UCF. A friend of mine who is currently a PhD student at UCF  told me that their method courses are not that good and students are only offered 3 methodology classes (1 qual and 2 quant).