Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Applying to Environmental Engineering MS (and later PhD) here. I got an acceptance from Carnegie Mellon Feb 1st (funding but not full ride), and an acceptance from Montana State University March 27th. I still have not heard back from the other two schools, (Oregon State University and University of Minnesota). Minnesota is my number 1 pick because of their Bioremediation focus (which is my focus). But I don't know what to do because the April 15th deadline is this Sunday! Also Minnesota seems to be avoiding me because the professor I have been communicating with for the last year is suddenly unresponsive and the admissions department is also not responding to me...

Do yall think I should just accept my number 2 (Carnegie Mellon) and withdraw if I get a good offer from Minnesota? I would rather not tarnish bridges and be out a $100 deposit if I don't have to. But I will if I need to. Carnegie Mellon said they would give me another week past April 15th if I need it, I just don't know how long to hold out and I am going crazy:blink:

Also, does anyone know if University of Minnesota Civil and Environmental Engineering Masters offers have gone out yet? I suspect a first round went out a while ago but don't have any information on that.

Thanks!:D

 

GPA: 3.69

Major: Biology , Minor: Chemistry

GRE: 159 Verbal (83%), 160 Quantitative (76%), 4.5 Writing (82%)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

Hold out as long as you can. So if Carnegie Mellon is offering an extension to April 22, then wait until then. 

Thanks!!

You think I should tell Carnegie Mellon sooner rather than later I will need the extension? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, tell Carnegie Mellon now that you would like an extension past April 15. See how long they give you! Ask for more time if necessary.

I think it would also be a good idea to reach out to Minnesota after April 15 to check up on your status (so that you know whether there is still a possibility or whether you should take Carnegie Mellon's offer).

And of course, if you have not already done so, you should withdraw your application from Oregon State University now. If Carnegie Mellon is your 2nd choice, then there is no way you will attend OSU so you should withdraw to keep the process moving along. If there was someone who was still on the Minnesota waitlist but was no longer interested, you would hope they would withdraw too, instead of delaying the process, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will schools be annoyed/upset if you ask for an extension? I know it’s better than backing out of an offer but I don’t know if asking will be frowned upon - debating my options atm in a similar situation.

Edited by jasbee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jasbee said:

Will schools be annoyed/upset if you ask for an extension? I know it’s better than backing out of an offer but I don’t know if asking will be frowned upon - debating my options atm in a similar situation.

I asked two schools for extensions. Neither of them seemed upset or annoyed about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, why would they be annoyed or upset? If they want to give you an extension, they would say yes. If they don't want to, they would just say no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update Just heard from the Prof I have been working with at UMN and he said the money is real tight in their department this year so he isn't able to make offers himself and that I didn't make the cut for scholarships from the college :( . Still don't know about if I got in or not, but I expect/hope I'll hear something after the 15th. This funding situation could likely be an Environmental Engineering specific thing what with the gutting the EPA and all. But with CMU's Environmental Engineering department being so cozy with the natural gas industry, they may be less affected. 

So I will likely not get offered funding from UMN, which makes me weary about banking that I will be able to do a PhD there. I don't know what to do if I get accepted but without funding. The two programs would cost the same in out of pocket/loans expenses.

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my case, doing a PhD with no funding is not an option because I could not afford it. But even if I could, I would never do it: they should pay you for what you do, you are a researcher and thus a resource for them, and doing it without being paid is just wrong. Wrong for you as a person,  and as a valuable professional. But of course this is just my opinion about it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.