Jump to content

jasbee

Members
  • Content Count

    42
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About jasbee

  • Rank
    Caffeinated

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Female
  • Application Season
    2018 Fall
  • Program
    Neuroscience PhD

Recent Profile Visitors

683 profile views
  1. Just got through to the PI I want to work for which is such a huge relief and she would be excited to have me so I'm going to my top choice! Sorry for the freak out - I still honestly have no idea what I would've done if I hadn't heard back from her.
  2. I already asked my second choice university if they'd extend their deadline and they said they would not.
  3. Because if he no longer would be able to take me and there was only one available professor at my first choice school I would want to work with that would be a major cause of concern. You’re supposed to have multiple professors at a school you would want to work with in case your original main POI isn’t a good match in the end/leaves the school/whatever else life throws at you happens so I think also reaching out to my second choice professor also was perfectly reasonable.
  4. Last night I was admitted off the waitlist to my top choice program and I couldn't be more excited. I immediately emailed the two main professors I want to work with there to make sure they still actually want me in their labs since I was originally waitlisted. My second choice professor responded saying he would be happy to have me, but now the workday on Friday is ending and I still haven't heard back from the main professor I want to work for. If she doesn't still have space for me in her lab or interest in me joining, then I would go to my second choice school that has a great PI (but the location is really unideal for me on about 5 different levels). If she does still have interest in me joining her lab, then I'd go to my top choice. But I have no idea what I should do if I don't hear back from her. Does anyone have any advise about how to handle this situation?
  5. jasbee

    Waitlist Success Stories for Hope

    Just got off the waitlist from my top choice!!! It's been a long road (they replied to an email this morning saying they might not have the waitlist decided before April 15 and I should ask my other school for an extension) and I was put on the waitlist over a month ago. I have NOT handled waiting well but I'm in shock right now.
  6. jasbee

    Let’s just TALK about it...

    I just got in off the waitlist at my top choice!!! I'm in such shock right now honestly. Today has been such a rollercoaster - it started with waking up to an email reply from the program director of my top choice saying she didn’t know whether or not I’d hear back from them before April 15 and that I should ask my other school for an extension. Then I drafted an email to my second choice asking for an extension but before I sent it I got a phone call from their program director offering a fellowship with more money (and then I asked him about an extension and he said they probably wouldn't grant one). Then tonight I got an email from my top choice and I honestly can't believe it. I still have to hear back from professors at my top choice (I want to make sure they actually want me in their labs still) before i can say for sure that I'm going but today was a lot. I'm defending my undergraduate thesis in the morning and have yet to look at my presentation because this has all been so much wow.
  7. Will schools be annoyed/upset if you ask for an extension? I know it’s better than backing out of an offer but I don’t know if asking will be frowned upon - debating my options atm in a similar situation.
  8. jasbee

    2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

    Just emailed UNC BBSP and apparently they’re starting to take people off the waitlist for whatever that’s worth
  9. @Cowherdingjoe just withdrew my Vanderbilt app. They said I was currently on the waitlist, and even though I highly doubt I was going to get off of it maybe there's a small chance this helps someone else - and I could use the good waitlist karma lol.
  10. jasbee

    Waiting on a wait list to make my decision

    Pretty similar - in at my second choice school and the program is great and would set me up super well for future research, but I really think I would be happier at my top school where I'm waitlisted. The wait sucks so much and I'm so scared I won't know either way before April 15th. My plan if I don't know on April 15 is to commit to my second choice school and pull my app from the waitlist. Once I decide I want to decide and not go back on my decision. Some people mentioned asking for extensions on deciding from the school you were accepted at, but idk for me that feels like too much. I just want to be done.
  11. jasbee

    How are you dealing with the waiting phase?

    I'm handling it poorly, but I'm trying to distract myself. I've been looking at apartments online for the city I'm probably going to be in next year - I'm trying to find an affordable one bedroom that allows cats and has an in-unit washer/dryer which turns out is pretty difficult in that area. I've also spent a while looking at cats on local animal shelter websites because I'm definitely getting one in grad school. Made the mistake of looking at apartments near the school I'm waitlisted at and they were so much cheaper and newer/nicer and just uggghhhhhh.
  12. Did you contact them or did they send you an email out of the blue? If they just aren’t telling us our status and basically unofficially waitlisting us (as in I can’t assume I’ve been rejected at this point) I’ll try to figure out how to withdraw my application - unless if that might impact future opportunities at the school. Does anyone know whether it’s worse to withdraw your application or to wait to hear back and get either rejected or accepted then decline the offer? (I’m really assuming I’m going to be rejected based on how interviews went). I’ve declined an acceptance because I wanted to make room on that school’s waitlist for others and if pulling my app at Vandy won’t affect my shot of getting a post doc position there or something I def will. Even if I don’t pull my app because I’m paranoid about that and somehow I do get in (which I highly doubt will happen) I’d def decline right away so the spot would go to the next person.
  13. Not important, but has anyone else who didn't interview with Northwestern NUIN not received their rejection letter yet? I wasn't interviewed so I know I'm rejected (and it was towards the bottom of my list so I'm fine with that) but it's just comical that it's April and I still haven't heard anything. I paid my app fee so I think I should get an actual rejection notification. Also idk if I was waitlisted or rejected from Vanderbilt NGP because I haven't heard anything after my interview... it's fine because I would decline the offer if admitted, but real talk I just want closure from this whole process. (I'm really just waiting on the answer from my top choice because I'm waitlisted there and distracting myself with this stuff but it's fine. Everything's fine.)
  14. jasbee

    BS Biomedical Science or Biology?

    Can second as a classmate of eevee's- only 4 of the like 36 in our neuroscience thesis capstone class were not premed. We both got into graduate school and not once was I questioned if I was previously premed and have other interests. Other institutions won't know the % premed at whatever school your daughter is at, and the implications of that % premed for graduate admissions should definitely not be a concern when picking undergraduate schools.
  15. jasbee

    Let’s just TALK about it...

    Sorry for this rant, and I know I'm definitely in a really good position no matter what happens so I don't have much of a right to complain, but the fact I'm still waiting is killing me. I applied to 10 schools and had 2 that were pretty clearly at the top of my list and I was equally excited about. I was really lucky to get interviewed at both those schools and really liked them both, but to me it was pretty clear I'd be a lot happier at the school that I now knew was my top choice. My second choice school accepted me 2/28 really shortly after my interview and I was ecstatic - it was the first school I got into and at that point I was so scared I wouldn't get in anywhere. I knew my first choice school could notify as early as 2/15 based on gradcafe previous years and other applicants that got in this year. Weeks passed and getting into a program I love definitely helped some with my anxiety (which granted is bad all the time, but this process has been really rough mentally) however I was still struggling to stop refreshing my email every 30 minutes (my goal was waiting an hour but I never made it). Finally 3/12, over a month after I interviewed, I finally heard back... that I was waitlisted. I could've handled rejection - I would've been sad for a bit, but I knew I had a really great option. Handling the waitlist was probably a lot harder. I debated pulling myself off the waitlist because I didn't want to wait any longer but my friends sat down and listened to me make pro/con crazy color coded lists and it was pretty clear. While both programs academically are basically the same (and my second choice has more prestige and the lab I want to work in there might be by the smallest margin a better fit for me than the lab at my first choice), in terms of environment and location and mental health and how excited I felt about the university when I was on campus, I did still want to go to my first choice and I shouldn't just pull myself off the list to make the next month of my life easier. Although I am scared that even if I get in now the fact I was originally waitlisted means the PI there doesn't actually want me all that much and I'd struggle to find a lab. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it I guess... I've exchanged a few emails with the admissions director at my first choice and she said some years they don't touch the waitlist and other years they go through the whole thing and they probably won't start contacting anyone until early April. So the past 3 weeks I've known probably nothing was coming and I've been able to back off the crazy email refreshing. But I know that anxiety is probably going to start up again Monday and ugh. I just want to know and start finding an apartment and buy my sweatshirt and get excited about where I'm supposed to be the next 5 years. I know I'm so lucky to have a great option but I just want to be done. I guess I only have to wait until April 15...
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.