Princeton, NJ

Guest Fraya_Tormenta

Yeah, you do participate in the incoming draw if you apply for housing by the April 15th (see https://hres.princeton.edu/graduates/incoming-students).On the application form, you will rank the different type of rooms from your favourite to the last one you would accept. You should probably avoid selecting "OGC double" if you don't want a walk-through. Good luck!

Edited by gorki

Is there any way to get in touch with potential flatmates ahead of time, ie to pre-select who you'd like to live with? I'd rather not live with somebody from my department just because of the whole work-life balance thing, but it'd be great to choose my flatmate myself.

Also, I'm getting married in the middle of the 2015-2016 academic year, so that means I would have to apply for a graduate housing transfer, yes?

Also, I'm getting married in the middle of the 2015-2016 academic year, so that means I would have to apply for a graduate housing transfer, yes?

Apartment contracts are for 12 months, unfortunately, so moving in the middle of the year would probably be complicated. In this case you might want to consider applying directly for a studio or one-bedroom and tell the housing department that you'll be getting married during the year. There's room to make a case for special consideration during the application process.

Thanks, Bleep_Bloop! I ended up calling Graduate Housing and explaining my situation -- they didn't particularly seem to care! They told me to try for a studio or one-bedroom, but that I would probably end up in a shared flat with a random flatmate(s), and then have to file transfer paperwork later in the year. It does seem a bit complicated and inflexible, but on the other hand, they reassured me that my spouse and I would eventually have our own space (ie, they wouldn't just stick us in a two-bedroom with a stranger, which I imagine would be awkward for all parties involved). So moving to our own place would be a minor hassle, but it's better than the alternative, I think.

If anyone else has partners joining them in the middle of the year and successfully snags a private space right off the bat, kindly PM me and explain how you worked your magic with Graduate Housing. 

Edited by mmmcheese

Does anyone here on the boards live in or know someone who has lived in Plainsboro and commuted? I'm not really interested in the graduate housing, it seems like too much of a chance I'd end up in an undergraduate style living situation which I'd really like to avoid, and the stipend seems plenty generous to allow living off campus. It appears like there are a number of good options in Plainsboro, just wondering rather living in a surrounding community like that is somewhat common, what commute would be like, etc. 

Does anyone here on the boards live in or know someone who has lived in Plainsboro and commuted? I'm not really interested in the graduate housing, it seems like too much of a chance I'd end up in an undergraduate style living situation which I'd really like to avoid, and the stipend seems plenty generous to allow living off campus. It appears like there are a number of good options in Plainsboro, just wondering rather living in a surrounding community like that is somewhat common, what commute would be like, etc. 

I haven't heard of students doing this at the beginning of a program. I knew someone who lived in Plainsboro when they were dissertating, but that was because they couldn't get housing on campus anymore (they were in their 5th or 6th year). This is an exception, though. Most people who decide not to live in Princeton find apartments in New York or Philly because the immediately surrounding area is rather...unexciting. It makes more sense if you're moving here with a family, but otherwise you'll be a grad student living alone in suburbia. Princeton has the campus, the community of grad students (which will be based around your department) and some bars/restaurants in walking distance along Nassau, and you'd be giving that up. While it's not a city, it's cosmopolitan compared to Plainsboro. I wouldn't recommend living in a place like Plainsboro for someone who isn't already established in a program or in the writing phase because it would be very, very difficult to meet people and make connections, spontaneously go to talks or conferences on campus, etc. Grad school itself can at times be isolating/lonely, and I think living in a place like Plainsboro would make that much worse.

How is it living on campus? Do most people seem to like it or are they desperate for some space? I don't know many graduate schools where most students live in dorms and I'm curious to hear how that plays out.

Most first year graduate students live in dorms (NGC, some OGC), but then move into apartment-style housing (lakeside, lawrence) for the remainder of their program. I don't find NGC that bad, and I'm glad I had a meal plan for the first year as it is quite convenient and it is probably the best way to meet people outside of your department. Sharing a bathroom with 5 other people is annoying ofc but the janitors clean it every day so there's no problem there... Also, you can ask for a two-room single in NGC if you want more space. 

How is it living on campus? Do most people seem to like it or are they desperate for some space? I don't know many graduate schools where most students live in dorms and I'm curious to hear how that plays out.

A lot of first years live in dorms, but it's not necessary. Apartments aren't located immediately on campus: mine is about a 15 minute walk north, which gives me a bit of a buffer between work/home life. I'm really only on campus to go to class or work in the library. For me it's not necessarily the campus but the town that makes me a little claustrophobic.

I don't live off-campus so I can't offer advice on logistiscs, but since no one's responded yet I'll share what I know. The housing department has some resources, which you may have already explored (https://hres.princeton.edu/graduates/explore/off-campus-housing). I've also seen housing listings every now and then on Tiger Trade. The town doesn't have many apartments, so most grad students who live off-campus (in Princeton) share a house. I'm under the impression that a lot of those arrangements happen by word-of-mouth, though.

Edited by Bleep_Bloop

I don't live off-campus so I can't offer advice on logistiscs, but since no one's responded yet I'll share what I know. The housing department has some resources, which you may have already explored (https://hres.princeton.edu/graduates/explore/off-campus-housing). I've also seen housing listings every now and then on Tiger Trade. The town doesn't have many apartments, so most grad students who live off-campus (in Princeton) share a house. I'm under the impression that a lot of those arrangements happen by word-of-mouth, though.

THANK YOU Bleep_Bloop!! I was not aware of TigerTrade and just checked it out. It looks like there are quite a few housing listings. Most are starting sooner than I need, but I will absolutley check back closer to fall if I don't like what the "room draw" sends me. Thanks again... getting excited to start this next grad school adventure!  :rolleyes:  

• 2 weeks later...

gorki: thanks so much for the help in this thread.

Do you happen to know if children of Princeton graduate alumni are considered "legacy" for the purpose of undergraduate admission?

I will be visiting Princeton this weekend, very excited.

I don't think there's an official answer on this, but someone on http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/princeton-university/914031-child-of-graduate-school-graduates-a-legacy.html says probably not.

As an update, seems like the college confidential post I linked was wrong, and "[...] undergraduate and graduate alumni ties [are] given equal weight" per Dean of Admission Janet Rapelye as reported in http://dailyprincetonian.com/news/2015/05/legacy-status-remains-a-factor-in-admissions/

Edited by gorki

Just wondering, has anyone here heard back from graduate housing with a contract for incoming student accommodation yet? My partner and I are still waiting, and they never got back to my email.

Hey adjunct,

most contracts will be sent towards the end of May. If you need to contact the housing office, you should call them, they are notorious for ignoring emails.

Edited by gorki

Hello everyone - I have finally received my housing offer and have been assigned to the New Graduate College. Has anyone lived in the NGC and can describe what it is like? The NGC was by very last option and I am very unhappy with it. I'm going to see if there is any way to go on a waiting list for the Old Graduate College... 

Thanks

It looks like I could live in an annex as an incoming graduate students -- can anyone share what they're like? Can one reasonably forgo the meal plan? Are some houses better to live in than others? Any information about this would be helpful.

Hi everyone, I'm going to be starting doctoral study at Princeton in the Fall and I've just received my housing contract for the 2015-2016 academic year. I'm moving from New Zealand so decided to live in the Graduate College for at least my first year. This means that I have to select a meal plan and I am having a hard time understanding what each plan actually includes and which one I should go with. Can anyone shed any light on the best option? Also, I know the Graduate College dining hall doesn't open for lunch but are there other places we can eat with our meal plan and/or get to-go lunches from in the morning? Any advise would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hello everyone - I have finally received my housing offer and have been assigned to the New Graduate College. Has anyone lived in the NGC and can describe what it is like? The NGC was by very last option and I am very unhappy with it. I'm going to see if there is any way to go on a waiting list for the Old Graduate College... 

Thanks

I'm in exactly the same boat! Happy to have a single, but really didn't want to end up in NGC and really REALLY didn't want to have to go on a meal plan as I've been cooking for myself for several years now. Would also be interested to hear current students' perspectives on NGC -- is it relatively calm, how big are the rooms, etc? As I wrote in an earlier post, I'm getting married during the academic year and so will have to move out of NGC at some point anyway, but if it's really as bad I've heard, I might as well just find something on the private market now and save myself the hassle of moving later on.

For those of you trapped in grad college limbo, I'm sorry. Your best bet is to call the housing office (they're very bad with e-mail) and haggle with them over the phone in hopes of getting something better. Those looking at off-campus options: I would strongly advise against living in the Jersey suburbs outside Princeton (such as Plainsboro or Princeton Junction). I listed the cons in an earlier post in this thread. I don't see any pros. You won't save any money (in fact it'll probably be even more expensive), you'll need a car, and you'll be in the middle of nowhere. Princeton will feel cosmopolitan by comparison. If you're set on living outside of Princeton, look at New York or Philly. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for a first year either...the commute is killer, you can't take advantage of all the events on campus, and you'll have a hard time getting to know people at the university. I know the grad college sucks, but unfortunately if you can't strong-arm your way into better campus housing, it's probably your best option at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Could anyone recommend cell phone carriers that have good coverage in Princeton? T-mobile seems like the cheapest option, but I read in a forum that -- at least 5 years ago -- the coverage wasn't really great. Is this still like that?

Thanks!