Princeton, NJ

Guest Fraya_Tormenta

I'll put it bluntly: is it suffocating to live on campus? Or, in the town, for that matter - do you just bump into the same people, who are also from the university? I mean it's quite a few years I would have to spend there and I do not want to become a hermit (more than I am already, ha ha). 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm back from visit day. As a prospective student, I can't answer your questions firsthand, however I did gather some information conversing with current students. 

LKS: One of the students I've met during the visit was assigned to Old Lawrence as a first year, after requesting it. I have also heard of people transferring out of GC during or after their first semester. Apartment housing should be even easier to get this fall with Lakeside opening.

gentlechaos: Living in GC for the first year helps in meeting people outside of your department. It also seems easy and encouraged to take courses or attend colloquium and social events from other areas and departments. I haven't heard complaints about isolation from current  students -- they did mention the lack of social life off-campus, but it is compensated by graduate school-wide activities and the proximity to NYC and Philly. 

Edited by gorki

Thanks for the info, Gorki. I've committed and actually decided to bite the bullet and requested to live in the old GC for the social aspect, and to avoid having to furnish an apartment. Makes the move easier too, I can basically just show up with a a suitcase and be good to go. I also have heard of students moving out of the GC into an apartment after a semester, so it's reassuring to know that you're not necessarily stuck there the entire year if you can't stand it.

Can anyone comment on the best way to get to Princeton from Boston? I'm going to try to do both the Kennedy School and Woodrow Wilson visit days, and just trying to figure out the best way to travel in between. 

I could take the train from Boston to New York Penn (about 4 hours) and then transfer at Penn Station for the NJ Transit train to Princeton Junction (about 1 hour), probably about six hours total travel once you factor everything in.  I'd probably take a taxi from Princeton Junction rather than take the Dinky. 

Or I could fly from Boston to Newark and get to Princeton from there (probably also by train, but potentially by car).  The flight is only 1 hour, but I have to factor in getting to the airport early, security, etc; and then the 40 mile trip from Newark to Princeton.  I might save one or two hours, but it seems like more hassle for not that much time savings.  

• 4 weeks later...

LKS:  The GC is definitely the best option if you put any premium on social life. Whatever social scene there is in your first year will typically revolve around the GC/dbar.  Yes carrying a shower-caddy around a dorm feels foolish for someone in their mid-late twenties, but you get used to it.

gov2school: your first plan is the typical route--boston to nypenn, Njtransit to Princeton JCT, then dinky.  There's also a megabus from penn station to nassau st., which can be cheaper, but I've never taken it.

gentle chaos: here's my 2 cents on princeton social life:

yes, it's very suffocating.  If you don't like spending most of your time with the same people, you'll want to escape to NYC or philly.  Everyone walking around campus/nassau st. during the week will look familiar.  That being said, I think it's generally easier to meet other grad students here than it is at other universities, partly because many live in the same place (GC) for the first year and partly because, being a small town, people get to know each other a little easier.

Now, that being said, your core group of friends will most likely be the people in your own program, which means (if it's anything like my program) the topic of conversation will typically be work-related.  Also, if you manage make some acquaintances outside your program, the grad school population isn't everyone's cup of tea--academic types are often very introverted and, let's face it, weird (although definitely not snobby, which is the vibe many get from the undergrads).  The exception is the WWS, the only real professional school, which seems to be full of normal, friendly, fun people.  

As for dating, as a single guy I can say it's very difficult, at least in any math or science field.  Some of the fields with more women (humanities, architecture, and, again, the WWS) find people to date, but almost always people within their own program.  

Long story short: Princeton can be pretty isolating and you might find your life revolves around your department.  If you are outgoing you can meet people in other departments (perhaps more easily than at other schools), but those used to a more dispersed group of friends might find it suffocating, especially if you're a single man.

• 1 month later...

Anybody have recommendations for furnishing a campus apartment on a shoestring budget? From what I gather, we're not given our first stipend payment until the end of September (please correct me if I'm wrong?) Is there generally used/cheap furniture available on campus via tigertrade and such?  I know there's an Ikea not too far away, but I won't have a car... I'm moving completely on my own, so this might be tricky. Any advice appreciated!

• 7 months later...

Since acceptances for F15 are rolling out I thought I'd resurrect this thread with a question: I have a small dog that I intend to bring with me. Are there pet friendly options on campus and am I likely to get one, or should I be looking for something off campus? I'm not averse to signing a lease that starts over the summer if necessary.

hey doomination,

Grats on the accept :) 

Lakeside should open over the summer, you can request it in the housing draw but returning students have priority over first year outside of the graduate college.

You can't request "old" specifically, you only say "single GC", "double GC", ... where "single" means a room without roommates in either new or old graduate college. Most likely outcome is that you will be placed in a single NGC room. It is however easy to get moved to OGC or a 2-room single in NGC if you ask them around a month after the move-in date.

You can PM me if you have more questions about housing or Princeton in general.

Since acceptances for F15 are rolling out I thought I'd resurrect this thread with a question: I have a small dog that I intend to bring with me. Are there pet friendly options on campus and am I likely to get one, or should I be looking for something off campus? I'm not averse to signing a lease that starts over the summer if necessary.

Hi rjparson,

The housing website lists only Lakeside as pet friendly (butler will have closed by the start of next year).

I thought Lawrence apartments were pet friendly, but they don't seem listed as such on the housing website, you might have to email them about that. It will probably be significantly harder to get placed into Lakeside than into Lawrence next year. 

Hi rjparson,

The housing website lists only Lakeside as pet friendly (butler will have closed by the start of next year).

I thought Lawrence apartments were pet friendly, but they don't seem listed as such on the housing website, you might have to email them about that. It will probably be significantly harder to get placed into Lakeside than into Lawrence next year. 

What's off campus housing like then, and do many/any first year grad students live off campus?

Most first year students live in GC, but some are in apartment-style housing or off campus. You will probably need a car if you go with off campus.

How difficult is it for an incoming student to get apartment style housing on campus? I live in an apartment right now and already own furniture; I'd like to keep as much as I can

For what I understand, probability of getting into lakeside is very low, but you should be able to get something in Lawrence. If you still get placed in GC, remember that you can ask to be switched around a month in or so. All the people I know who asked to switch from NGC to OGC, NGC 2-room to NGC single  and GC to Lawrence (or Buttler, forgot) got what they requested.  

About vegetarian/vegan friendly, restaurant-wise it's average, there's one tea+vegetarian place that I know of.

In dinning hall, you usually get 1 or 2 vegetarian entrees every day in each dining hall. You can look at the menu on https://campusdining.princeton.edu/dining/_Foodpro/location.asp(meal plan can be use at any of the dining hall). This menu is in addition to a salad&veggie bar, ice cream/froyo and to-order grill (only veggie option they often have there is portobello mushroom, but sometime they'll have eggplants or more...). I've heard good thing from vegetarian friends about the vegetarian coop 2D http://twod.mycpanel.princeton.edu/ 

Hi rjparson,

As an update, only unfurnished apt. in Lakeside are pet friendly, per https://hres.princeton.edu/graduates/my-housing/room-draw-guide

On 2/1/2015 at 3:07 PM, gorki said:

As an update, only unfurnished apt. in Lakeside are pet friendly, per https://hres.princeton.edu/graduates/my-housing/room-draw-guide

NB, according to this link only unfurnished townhouses and ground-level apartments at Lakeside will be pet-friendly. Basically, a unit is pet-friendly if it has its own entrance outside. Lawrence is not pet-friendly at all, so your chances are going to be slim because they're demolishing Butler and Stanworth (all of which are pet-friendly). If you have to bring your pet with you, there are options off campus but they typically consist of rooms that people rent out and also won't be pet-friendly. I have heard of more advanced grad students renting out a house in Princeton, but that's definitely not the norm because the market is horrible and they're crazy expensive. You'll also need a car if off-campus. A car isn't a necessity for a campus apartment, but it's definitely helpful. There's a car share service that charges $10 an hour, which will be cheaper than maintaining a car if you only drive to get groceries.

To answer the question above about vegan/vegetarian options: it's quite bad, unfortunately. The food in Princeton is terrible. The majority of restaurants priced for students are hamburger joints or serve greasy bar food. There is one decent Indian place, one decent sushi place, not a single good Mexican restaurant, etc. You'll get very tired of going out to the same restaurants. We were all excited for a falafel place to open up in the fall (seriously, there was a line going out the door...this should tell you something about the size and food options of Princeton) yet when my vegetarian friend and I ate there we both got sick.  I was pretty disheartened to see how unhealthy most of the food options are compared to the west coast. I don't live in the Graduate College so I don't have to eat in a cafeteria regularly, but the one time I did it was just ok. Standard dorm food that brought me straight back to undergrad, very industrial. I'm sure it's great compared to other universities, but it's still dorm food. I was pretty impressed by the variety of their salad bar, but as far as vegan/vegetarian entrees, what they were offering had clearly been sitting under a heat lamp for quite some time.. .All told, you'll mostly have to cook your own food if you're in an apartment and vegan/vegetarian.

Edited by LKS

Yes, at least for the first 3 or so years. After that your chances are lower because priority in the housing draw is for students who are in the earlier stages of their programs. Almost all my friends moved to Philly or New York in the fourth year since they finished coursework, passed generals and started writing the dissertation, hence they don't need to be on campus every day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread. I'll be starting at Princeton this fall, and I had question about the guest policy at grad colleges -- my partner will be doing a phd in another city, and we're planning to visit each other at least biweekly. I saw on Princeton's housing website that guests are only allowed to stay for 2 nights at the grad colleges, which could be problematic for us. So my question is - how strict is this policy adhered to? If I live in a single room, for example, is it at all possible to occasionally stretch my partner's stay for an extra day or two? 

I'd like to apply for an apartment, but from what I've read on this thread, seems that chances are pretty slim for a first year. 

Thanks for any advice you might have! :) 

Hi happyseal, congrats!

As far as I know the guest policy is not enforced at all. I see guests all the time in the dining hall for (free) breakfast and it doesn't seem to bother the employees. The bathrooms are not co-ed, though, so your partner might have to walk a floor up or down for that.

gorki: thanks so much for the help in this thread.

Do you happen to know if children of Princeton graduate alumni are considered "legacy" for the purpose of undergraduate admission?

I will be visiting Princeton this weekend, very excited.