Unofficial offer

I was originally waitlisted for funding at a school and heard back last week from the graduate director that they are going to be able to fund me. The official offer letter was supposed to come early this week and I still don't have it. Talked to the director yesterday and was told they would try and have someone get it done that day.. Still don't have anything. I don't think the graduate director would lie to me but I feel uneasy turning down my other offer until I have something official from them... and if I don't get anything official today, it probably won't happen before the 15th. I also feel guilty holding onto a spot at another school if I am not going to go there.. Am I just being overly cautious? 

16 minutes ago, Statsfan15 said:

I was originally waitlisted for funding at a school and heard back last week from the graduate director that they are going to be able to fund me. The official offer letter was supposed to come early this week and I still don't have it. Talked to the director yesterday and was told they would try and have someone get it done that day.. Still don't have anything. I don't think the graduate director would lie to me but I feel uneasy turning down my other offer until I have something official from them... and if I don't get anything official today, it probably won't happen before the 15th. I also feel guilty holding onto a spot at another school if I am not going to go there.. Am I just being overly cautious? 

Relax, you're fine. Just wait to hear what happens. Be selfish here: if the school that you want to go comes back and gives funding after you accept, you simply lose your deposit.

Yes, they said the admissions offfice must have been backed up. So they sent a signed letter on official letterhead promising me the funding. Ironically, I have now decided to take my other offer anyway... I am going to seem crazy to this department now after hounding them all week but it just didn’t feel right. This has been such a crazy experience. Glad to be done. Thanks for everyone’s advice!!

1 hour ago, Statsfan15 said:

Yes, they said the admissions offfice must have been backed up. So they sent a signed letter on official letterhead promising me the funding. Ironically, I have now decided to take my other offer anyway... I am going to seem crazy to this department now after hounding them all week but it just didn’t feel right. This has been such a crazy experience. Glad to be done. Thanks for everyone’s advice!!

I'm glad you made a decision!