Accepted for admission but...

robot_hamster

Last summer, I participated in a research program for undergraduates. Getting in to the program was quite competitive, but I was one of the few students chosen. The program was meant to give undergraduate students a taste of what graduate school is like. We had to go to various sessions regarding graduate school (the application process, taking the GRE, etc) that were in addition the the research projects we were working on. The people there kept stressing how the school desired more graduate school applicants and that funding was available.

Now let's fast forward to the present. I am about to graduate with my bachelors degree. I applied for graduate school at the same school in which I participated in the research program. I thought surely my participation in their program would help me get my foot in the door.

Well, I received my letter of acceptance for the upcoming fall in the mail and...

there is absolutely no mention of an offer for funding.

When I was applying, I was told that all applicants are automatically considered for funding and if an applicant was selected to receive funding, that information would be included with their acceptance letter.

So does this mean I'm screwed? If I can't get assistance, then I can't go. It's as simple as that. What would be my best option at this point?

Edited by robot_hamster

One of the universities I applied to also promised funding info would come with the acceptance letter but there was no mention of it when I opened the package. However when I called them to follow up, they said it would arrive in a separate letter this year because the financial aid office was a little behind.

I wouldn't give up hope yet. Give them a call on Monday and see what's up. Good luck!

Okay, I just got my answer. I am accepted, but they will not be offering me any kind of assistance. I guess I was right in assuming that I am screwed.

Where do I go from here? I guess I don't really know what my options are. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by robot_hamster

Terri,

Can I just say (off-topic) that I am oh-so-jealous of your acceptance to UoH-Manoa. I love Hawai'i, and though I had no reason whatsoever to apply there, it always tugs a heart string to hear of acceptances there. Congratulations and, if you go, say hi to the islands for me :)

Okay, I just got my answer. I am accepted, but they will not be offering me any kind of assistance. I guess I was right in assuming that I am screwed.

Where do I go from here? I guess I don't really know what my options are. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm in the exact same position. Admitted to an insanely wonderful program, but no funding. I've been speaking with the Department Secretary, which is proving not very helpful at all. I'm planning on drafting a letter and sending it to the Grad. Program and/or the Dept. Chair. to ask for tuition remission, and use my offer at another university as leverage. I'm going into this program with a Master's degree in the field, and I just don't think it's right to ask for tuition at this point, and for 2 yrs! These guys are crazy if you ask me.

Let me know what you end up doing and if you hear any good advice on the subject--would be *much* appreciated. Thanks!!

I'm in the exact same position. Admitted to an insanely wonderful program, but no funding. I've been speaking with the Department Secretary, which is proving not very helpful at all. I'm planning on drafting a letter and sending it to the Grad. Program and/or the Dept. Chair. to ask for tuition remission, and use my offer at another university as leverage. I'm going into this program with a Master's degree in the field, and I just don't think it's right to ask for tuition at this point, and for 2 yrs! These guys are crazy if you ask me.

Let me know what you end up doing and if you hear any good advice on the subject--would be *much* appreciated. Thanks!!

Unfortunately, I don't have any admissions at other schools to use as leverage. I guess I could have applied at other schools, but I would not have been able to attend them. My spouse is still finishing up college, so I'm sorta stuck at the moment. Not that this isn't a great school though, they have a pretty good program there for what I would like to get my masters in. I just don't understand what I did wrong. Was my application really that unattractive? My GRE scores weren't the greatest, but they weren't bad by any means. I thought for sure that my participation in their research program would have worked in my favor. I just don't get it, I thought they were practically desperate for grad students.

Anyway, I have been talking to the secretary as well with not much luck. I have tried talking to the department head, but they just keep trying to refer me back to the secretary. Hopefully I can figure something out. If I do, then I'll let you know.

I would email the grad secretary and/or DGS and ask if they anticipate additional funding opportunities becoming available in the upcoming months and ask about the feasibility of getting an assistantship in another department or office on campus.

Terri,

Can I just say (off-topic) that I am oh-so-jealous of your acceptance to UoH-Manoa. I love Hawai'i, and though I had no reason whatsoever to apply there, it always tugs a heart string to hear of acceptances there. Congratulations and, if you go, say hi to the islands for me :)

Aww, thanks! Unfortunately there are no jobs for my husband there so I won't be attending :(.

Robot_hamster, try not to look at it as 'something you did wrong.' All universities are struggling right now and many just don't have the funds. I also have a few acceptances from universities with very little funding. I wrote a letter to one of them asking if it was possible to be considered for an increase in merit scholarships and they said yes. I wrote a little paragraph pleading my case and they gave me an extra $1,000 in scholarships. So it can never hurt to ask. Like others have said, email about assistantships and stuff. Some universities may still have RA positions open as well, though I'm not sure if that's a possibility since you're married. You could also consider deferring for a year if your program allows that in order to save up more money and not rely on loans so much. Best of luck to you!

robot_hamster, many schools have much less money to give away now. It could be that they wanted to encourage more people to apply and attend so that they could 1) cherry-pick applicants and 2) up their student population. Their "need" for more graduate students doesn't necessarily mean they need them to take all their full-funding offers, if you know what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm a little late on replying but I just saw this... I'm in the same position. My understanding is that a lot of schools have much less funding than used to be the case just because of the economy, reduced grants, etc.

I went to a visit day for my prospective program and asked a few students about this. Chances are - if you're experiencing this, you're not the only one. The current students can probably offer you the best advice. (Sometimes there's not all that much more that the faculty and/or director of department can do, especially during this time where they're waiting to hear back from pending offers that are out there.) So, ask current students! It sounds like you may have an "in" with them already - since you did that summer program there. Ask them how they're funding their education. I've heard that a lot of times students will find assistantships outside of the department that they're in. And good ones, too- they include tuition remission, health insurance, and an hourly wage. So don't give up hope!

Good luck!