is this application suicide?

The topic description kind of says it all: if I'm on the waitlist, but in a kind of hopeless position, couldn't it help to send a sort of second SOP, just stressing what I consider to be my assets as a candidate, not to mention just showing how much I stand out from other applicants, simply by dint of being willing to break all the rules in my application? Especially when I feel that this "second SOP" really will convince them that I'm not your average bear?

There is some talk about this in the "Waitlister" thread. Some people recommend contacting the dgs and stating that the school is your top choice (if true) and why. Others thought that it didn't matter either way. If you're on the waitlist, it means they want you but that they need funding for an additional spot or they are anticipating accepted students turning them down. I'm in a similar position and believe that the department is doing everything it can to get me a spot (otherwise why state in whatever language that they are putting you on a waitlist?). I've known since February and haven't responded yet. I believe that if I decide to contact the school it will be closer to April 15th in order to do two things: ask for an update if one is available and inform them that they are my first choice/why. This type of discussion is usually divided half and half--those that found success or have had friends find success in emailing and those who have found success is just waiting. I know that's not very helpful, but I think responding to waitlist notifications really depends on your personality. In any case, I don't think contacting the department will hurt you in any way.

I have done it, and received a lovely reply that although I sound fabulous, they can't and won't take a second SOP at this point in the application process because it would constitute an unfairness to all of the other, equally fabulous candidates. So, I don't think it hurts you, but it definitely doesn't seem to help, either...I think they are going to make the choices they are going to make, and we just have to sit tight. :(

I have done it, and received a lovely reply that although I sound fabulous, they can't and won't take a second SOP at this point in the application process because it would constitute an unfairness to all of the other, equally fabulous candidates. So, I don't think it hurts you, but it definitely doesn't seem to help, either...I think they are going to make the choices they are going to make, and we just have to sit tight. :(

you're probably right. I guess I'm just hoping that, if they do read my letter, even if they decide to disregard it for fairness' sake, they will be impressed enough to give my application another, closer look...sort of the way the jury is influenced by evidence even after it's been thrown out as illegitimate. Egotistical i know, but we always think we're special, right?

Do you know if they actually ready your addendum?

you're probably right. I guess I'm just hoping that, if they do read my letter, even if they decide to disregard it for fairness' sake, they will be impressed enough to give my application another, closer look...sort of the way the jury is influenced by evidence even after it's been thrown out as illegitimate. Egotistical i know, but we always think we're special, right?

Do you know if they actually ready your addendum?

Yeah, lol I kind of hoped that, too. But yes, I think the person who received it did read it, and no I don't think it made any difference, alas. :P

hmmmm.... i think that a second SOP might be out of the question but a very good thank you letter (for letting you know that you're on the waitlist) might be fine. i use a thank you letter after job interviews not only to thank the interviewer but also to stress again how great a candidate i am for the position i've interviewed for because of fit/experience. you could use your thank you letter to do the same thing... that is, if you know who is on the ad comm and were interviewed by them/had some prior contact. i don't think such a thank you letter to the grad secretary would be helpful... maybe you could send it to the dgs though... they might actually be on the ad comm/pass it along to the ad comm for consideration.

good luck!

Edited by samjones

I have been spending a good deal of time considering this as I am wait listed at my top two schools and rejected everywhere else (which is actually not as terrible as it could be, I guess). At this point, I'm feeling that it's Hail Mary time. I am definitely going to send a note to the DGS at both schools. I am going to visit one school during my spring break and two professors have agreed to meet for coffee even though it is their spring break! So I'm going to write to the DGS letting him know who I met with, what we talked about, etc. In my note to the other school, I'm going to indicate how my studies are progressing (my senior thesis, etc) and that I am incredibly interested in going to their school.

I feel your pain. The wait list is a confusing place to be. The best advice that a professor has given me is to be enthusiastic, don't disappear, but don't be pushy. Hope that helps! Good luck to everyone.