The Best MA Program for Every Social Science Field

I am here to clear any doubts of misconceptions people have about the Master of Arts Program in the Social Sciences at the University of Chicago. I am also here to make a case for how this is the best program for any social science field out there. Period.

The MAPSS is the University of Chicago's solution to consolidating every social science MA under one umbrella. It is a remarkably elegant solution as you have the freedom to explore your research interests if you haven't one already. If you have everything thought out and just want more time to prepare for graduate school admissions, perfect. This program does not lose out in terms of academic rigor to any MA program you can find out there.

I was a bad student in college. I attended one of the lower-ranked University of California campuses, and majored in Economics and Political Science. I had a 3.2 cumulative GPA by the time I graduated, and I scored 155V 155Q for my GRE despite taking the test 3 times. I was frankly, very discouraged. I was admitted to Stanford for college, but had to turn it down because my parents refused to pay for my tuition. They could afford it. They just did not want to. I did not enjoy my four years in college because I was bitter that I was forced to attend my school by the mere fact that I had gotten a full-ride. My parents essentially forced me to take up on the offer by categorically refusing to pay for any tuition. I went through one year of deliberately sabotaging my education. I was 17. When I came to my senses that I could still go to Stanford by getting a funded for my PhD, it was already too late. I applied to multiple PhD programs in Political Science, and was rejected even by my own UC school. Can you imagine?

UChicago gave me a way out. A full-tuition scholarship to the MAPSS program. I was rejected by their PhD program. It was my only option. I bought a one-way ticket to Chicago.

The program was everything I thought it was going to be. Supportive, resourceful, and intellectually transformative. Being in a midst of PhD students in your classes can really change you as a person. You become more competitive. I'll admit, a lot of it was due to seeing for myself, the fear in the bloodshot eyes of UChicago PhD candidates whose last good night of sleep was evidently when they were in high school. Having grown up in the Bay Area, you don't hear a lot about the prestige of UChicago. Walking around downtown with my UChicago sweatshirt on was a real eye-opener. And by eye-opener, I mean people really open their eyes wider. I grew in confidence.

By the end of August, I had submitted the most brilliant piece of work I've ever put on paper. I had an MA Thesis and real research experience. I applied again, this time in Sociology. I was admitted to Stanford with full funding amongst other top schools. I am now a graduate of Stanford University. 

But isn't the MAPSS just another cash cow program?

No. Cash cow programs do not generally give out funding. If you want an example of cash cow programs, you should refer to UCLA or NYU's websites. 

Whether it is a cash cow, or not, I'm here to tell you that it is worth every penny. The MAPSS program does not only give you the brand recognition of one of the best universities in the world, it gives you access to one of the most distinguished faculties and abundant educational resources you can find at any university. Your preceptors and your faculty advisor(s) are there to take you by the hand to the door of the most prestigious doctoral programs there is, all you have to do, is work with them to take that last step. That means working hard, being serious about your thesis, and not falling back because it is a quarter system and you are no longer an undergraduate student.

This program is selective. The entering cohort is around 250 each year (I presume), and the number of applicants applying can be more than 2000. When I applied, I was accepted before the April deadline. They provided the admission statistics of the January deadline and already around 1500 applied. 

The acceptance rate is LESS than 15%.

Assuming that 50% more will apply after the January deadline, and that is being extremely conservative, the acceptance rate will be near 10%.

This means that the MAPSS program, while not as selective as PhD programs, is not exactly an easy program to be admitted to.

I've read many on this forum that concluded quite quickly that you should not give up a funded PhD program for the MAPSS. If it's a funded program at an average university that is not top 10 in your field, I don't think it's that straightforward. Of course, if you cannot afford the MAPSS because you didn't have scholarship, that is different. But if you have a scholarship to the MAPSS and a bunch of fully-funded PhD offers that you don't really want to attend, the MAPSS might not be a bad idea.

Academia is very nepotistic. As I found out after getting a job at a top 10 department after my Stanford degree while my other friend who got his PhD from UCSD is having a hard time finding a job. I do not think I do better research than him if I'm being honest. Having UChicago on your resume while you apply for a PhD is helpful in ways that many would not know to describe. 

If anyone wants any information about the MAPSS, I will be happy to help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Thank you for posting. I'm having a hard time deciding between an MA at Berkeley in their new global studies program and CIR. CIR gave 2/3 scholarship while Berkeley offers a generous full tuition remission and a healthy stipend for their numerous GSI positions.

Is an MA at Chicago worth 26,000 in loans? I want to get a Phd and pursue a research oriented career rather than policy. I'm excited about the possibility of branding myself as a Chicago student for Phd applications (and obviously the rigorous program and amazing research) but I am hoping Berkeley can deliver similar results if I push out some strong research and a good proposal.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:21 PM, ???????? said:

Hello, Thank you for posting. I'm having a hard time deciding between an MA at Berkeley in their new global studies program and CIR. CIR gave 2/3 scholarship while Berkeley offers a generous full tuition remission and a healthy stipend for their numerous GSI positions.

Is an MA at Chicago worth 26,000 in loans? I want to get a Phd and pursue a research oriented career rather than policy. I'm excited about the possibility of branding myself as a Chicago student for Phd applications (and obviously the rigorous program and amazing research) but I am hoping Berkeley can deliver similar results if I push out some strong research and a good proposal.

For what it's worth, my professors have recommended not to go into debt if I can avoid it.  And it's not like Berkeley isn't a great school for political science.  And it sounds like Berkeley really wants you

Unless CIR is so much better and Berkeley has poor placement, I'd say you should go with Berkeley

Congrats on the scholarships though!

• 4 months later...

Hi GoCardinals. Thank you for your excellent review on MAPSS. I got into MAPSS last year with a 50% funding offer. I declined because I didn't think it was worth that much money. I am very interested in applying to CIR and MAPSS this year and getting an improved funding offer. Any tips/tricks on how to strengthen apps for better funding?