Finishing pre-reqs while on waitlists

I am currently waitlisted at 5 schools and have no acceptances yet. I took the bulk of my pre-reqs through a post-bac program, but each of these remaining schools has one or two random classes that weren't included. I've registered at various schools for the 5 classes I could possibly need to take, with a plan of dropping if I get rejected or only taking the ones I need for the school I end up going to. But now that May is approaching I'm realizing classes will start soon and I may not hear from the waitlists until later in May or even June. I will be absolutely crushed if I drop a class and then get an acceptance in June but don't have a pre-req filled. If I stay in all of the classes hoping for an acceptance, that means taking 5 classes over the summer while working full time (the most I've taken at once was 3 and that pretty hellish) and also the cost would be over $7,000 if I take all 5 at once! (Could put on credit card but that's pretty terrifying considering my chances here!) I am so torn about what to do and would love to hear from anyone with suggestions. 

6 hours ago, draySLP1 said:

I am currently waitlisted at 5 schools and have no acceptances yet. I took the bulk of my pre-reqs through a post-bac program, but each of these remaining schools has one or two random classes that weren't included. I've registered at various schools for the 5 classes I could possibly need to take, with a plan of dropping if I get rejected or only taking the ones I need for the school I end up going to. But now that May is approaching I'm realizing classes will start soon and I may not hear from the waitlists until later in May or even June. I will be absolutely crushed if I drop a class and then get an acceptance in June but don't have a pre-req filled. If I stay in all of the classes hoping for an acceptance, that means taking 5 classes over the summer while working full time (the most I've taken at once was 3 and that pretty hellish) and also the cost would be over $7,000 if I take all 5 at once! (Could put on credit card but that's pretty terrifying considering my chances here!) I am so torn about what to do and would love to hear from anyone with suggestions. 

That's rough!  Could you take any of the pre-req's while in the program (after you're already accepted)? Many programs will allow you to do this and this will allow you to at least narrow down the classes you HAVE to take beforehand.  If I was in your position I would reach out to each school and see what they recommend you do.  They might at least tell you what your position is on the waitlist at this point or make an exception and allow you to take the pre-req with your grad courses if accepted. 

21 hours ago, WesttoEast18 said:

That's rough!  Could you take any of the pre-req's while in the program (after you're already accepted)? Many programs will allow you to do this and this will allow you to at least narrow down the classes you HAVE to take beforehand.  If I was in your position I would reach out to each school and see what they recommend you do.  They might at least tell you what your position is on the waitlist at this point or make an exception and allow you to take the pre-req with your grad courses if accepted. 

This is good advice, thank you! I'm nervous to call them but I think you're right.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:28 PM, draySLP1 said:

This is good advice, thank you! I'm nervous to call them but I think you're right.

You don't necessarily have to say your on 5 waitlists.  Just say that due to financial/time constraints, and the fact that you're still on the waitlist, will they allow you to wait to take the pre-req until your accepted or take it simultaneously with the program.