Hey guys and gals, I've come close to the end of my first year at BCM, passed all my courses and such. However one of the PIs I was considering joining is leaving to Scripps in CA. I have been given the option to transfer programs, but I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on the program at Scripps, or any opinion on BCM vs Scripps as institutions, programs, environment (supportive vs competitive), cost of living and how far a scripps stipend goes in CA.

Any general advice on what its like to transfer and after transferring programs is also appreciated.

Thanks!

For the questions about a Scripps stipend, the environment, etc., you really should reach out to current Scripps grad students. Before making any sort of decision, I would speak with the DGS at Scripps to reach an understanding about how much of your coursework would transfer and what requirements you would still need to meet. 

Also, if things don't work out long term with this particular PI, would you regret going to Scripps?

16 hours ago, rising_star said:

For the questions about a Scripps stipend, the environment, etc., you really should reach out to current Scripps grad students. Before making any sort of decision, I would speak with the DGS at Scripps to reach an understanding about how much of your coursework would transfer and what requirements you would still need to meet. 

Also, if things don't work out long term with this particular PI, would you regret going to Scripps?

Thanks for your reply.  She is known to be a very intense PI, but is considered to be very smart and is quite adapt and bringing in collaborations and such. Going with her would be very high risk, high reward. If things don't work out and I end up dropping out of a PhD, yes I would definitely regret it. But if I just decide to switch PIs within Scripps that might not be the worst thing in the world.

9 hours ago, FailedScientist said:

But if I just decide to switch PIs within Scripps that might not be the worst thing in the world.

Are there other PIs at Scripps you could see yourself working with?

On 4/25/2018 at 10:37 PM, rising_star said:

Are there other PIs at Scripps you could see yourself working with?

Based on research interest and funding yes. Never met anyone there so can't say much for personality and mentoring style.