DOE Fellowships

finnegans_cake

That's close enough, I still have hope. :-D

(Figures: 80 people, 5-10 minutes per call, probably only 1 person calling. Should take 2 days. Ok, back to doing real work, for me.)

Can't vouch for the validity of this, but someone on www.physicsgre.com posted the following:

"On a positive note, Linda Young from DOE gave a talk at the APS March Meeting last week and she said they're planning to give out closer to 160 of these fellowships, up from the 80 I had heard originally quoted."

If this is true, our odds just went up. I just want to know whether I got it or not so that I can move on and plan accordingly.

Holy crap! Can you guys confirm what time you were called at? I can't figure out what is going on with the times on this message board (I'm sure I could but I barely slept last night).

EDIT: nm, i figured it out. just didn't want to use my brain.

Edited by xkindofbluex

Holy crap! Can you guys confirm what time you were called at? I can't figure out what is going on with the times on this message board (I'm sure I could but I barely slept last night).

I got my call at 12:30pm pacific time.

I got my call at 12:30pm pacific time.

Awesome! I don't like this method of notification; I wish we could just all know at once. I think it's very likely I didn't get one, but I'm not going to be able to help keeping my hopes up until I hear for sure.

No change here either...I'm hoping it really does take more than one day to call everyone.

Seems like it would, particularly since they're probably making calls from the east coast to all over (someone on another forum said the area code of the call was 202, which is DC). I don't get the phone call thing, or why you wouldn't at least also update the stupid status box on your website if you have the results. Maybe I'm just tired and cranky. (probably)

No calls today, but I'm still hopeful. No luck on the NSF, still waiting on the NDSEG, EPA STAR, and SCGF. I've been waiting for the DOE to get into the graduate fellowship game, since my research (photobiological hydrogen production) is geared toward alternative energy and my lab has been funded by DOE in the past. The SCGF appeared just in time for me to give it one shot, so we shall see what the next week brings...

Who did you get calls from? Was it a specific person? If we can find out how many people are making the calls, we'd have a better idea.

I got my call at around 10:30 central. They said one person would be making the calls.

My application status still says "under review" too, so that is not an indication of whether you will be getting a call. I also can't remember who called me, I apologize. It was definitely 202, but thats all I know.

My application status still says "under review" too, so that is not an indication of whether you will be getting a call. I also can't remember who called me, I apologize. It was definitely 202, but thats all I know.

What field of engineering are you in? It seems everyone so far has been physics or engineering!

wh109, what letter does your last name start with?

Edited by xkindofbluex

What field of engineering are you in? It seems everyone so far has been physics or engineering!

wh109, what letter does your last name start with?

My last name starts with "D"

Instead of waiting to be called, I called them. They said I wasn't selected and that I will either be rejected or waitlisted when I get a formal decision in a week or two. I'm rather disappointed. I got the NSF but this is 10k more (5k clean + 5k research) and that's a lot of money. I guess I'll apply again.

Instead of waiting to be called, I called them. They said I wasn't selected and that I will either be rejected or waitlisted when I get a formal decision in a week or two. I'm rather disappointed. I got the NSF but this is 10k more (5k clean + 5k research) and that's a lot of money. I guess I'll apply again.

What number did you call? I couldn't find one on the website (likely by design I imagine).

And just so you know... from the FAQ:

I currently have another graduate fellowship. Does this make me ineligible for the DOE SCGF?

If you currently have another federal graduate fellowship that provides tuition and living stipend support, you are not eligible for the DOE SCGF. If you were awarded another federal graduate fellowship at any point in time, you are also not eligible to apply for the DOE SCGF.

I know it wasn't your priority when you called, but did they happen to say whether they were done making the congratulations calls?