Illinois (UIUC)

Has anyone heard anything regarding the time frame for decisions? I know a few PhD acceptances have been posted, but I applied to the MA program with the intention of moving on to the PhD afterward (as they claim on their website that most of their PhD students did their MA there).

I have heard conflicting reports, so I just wanted to see what everyone else knew.

I called up to ask--they said that all should receive letters this week. Hope that's true!

I'm not sure why, but this information just gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach. My guess is that my final rejection is making its way through the USPS as we speak...

I'm not sure why, but this information just gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach. My guess is that my final rejection is making its way through the USPS as we speak...

You and me both.

You and me both.

Yeah, I emailed to ask and I was told we would know something this week. I highly doubt I will get in, I'm already planning to move back to Tallahassee and get my masters there. Then I'll hopefully be able to reapply for my PhD with a much stronger application. Good luck to all!

Yeah, I emailed to ask and I was told we would know something this week. I highly doubt I will get in, I'm already planning to move back to Tallahassee and get my masters there. Then I'll hopefully be able to reapply for my PhD with a much stronger application. Good luck to all!

Atleast they responded to you! I called because no one responded to my e-mail inquiry. tongue.gif

If it helps you hold out hope, I the posted acceptance on the results board and I'm direct-to-PhD (already have a MA) and I was offered a fellowship. These factors might explain an early decision.

Thanks for the info. I sort of assumed the PhD results were direct-to-PhD applicants, but I am a bit concerned about the acceptance that says it is for the MA/PhD program...it appears to have come way too early.

I received an offer from Illinois for the MA/PHD program. I live in Champaign and am finishing my undergrad in English. That could explain my early response (and the fact that it only has to travel 4 blocks from the English Building to my mailbox).

Does anyone have any clue why there are so few entries in the results database for UIUC? I don't just mean this year, I mean every year. Their website states that in a normal year they accept approximately 40 M.A. students and 5-10 PhD students. This makes me wonder why are there only 2-3 M.A. entries per year on the database. Other programs that have much smaller entering classes seem to have more results posted than UIUC.

Anyone have any thoughts?

By the way, it is my impression that they are cutting their grad class in half this year, so I assume (if their website is factual) that they are admitting about 15-20 M.A. students this year and 5-8 PhD students. This is just an estimate, of course.