Funded Assistantships in Master's Programs -- How Likely Are They to be Renewed Each Year?

lorenzen

As usual, I am turning to this forum for advice. Thank you in advance for taking a look at thus topic.

I was offered an assistantship position in a Sociology Master's program that provides tuition and a stipend. It is stated that this has been granted for 2018-2019, and then I would have to apply for it again. If my performance is not good enough as a student and TA, it may not be renewed.

If a department gives you funding the first year, how likely is it to be renewed the second year if you are a good TA and student?

I am nervous to commit to a program and then have the "carpet" pulled out from under me.

Sincerely,

AfraidOfDebt

We can give you some guesstimate, though frankly it'd be a wild guess at best. On a whole I'd like to think that programs keep their promises if they can, but they may lose funding some years, or have more first-years accept offers than planned, or a prof who brought a grant might take another job and take their money with them, etc. It's hard to know how often that happens and how it affects students. Luckily, though, what you really want to know is simply how likely *your program* is to renew your funding. You can get much closer to an answer by talking to current 2nd year students and learning how many of them had been given/promised funding in their first year and what happened in their second year. 

You'd have to ask current students if they've ever seen anyone not have their funding renewed. In my experience, funding renewal wasn't guaranteed but also was never really in doubt. But none of that speaks to what your experience would be. Ask the DGS and ask current students.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:25 PM, lorenzen said:

As usual, I am turning to this forum for advice. Thank you in advance for taking a look at thus topic.

I was offered an assistantship position in a Sociology Master's program that provides tuition and a stipend. It is stated that this has been granted for 2018-2019, and then I would have to apply for it again. If my performance is not good enough as a student and TA, it may not be renewed.

If a department gives you funding the first year, how likely is it to be renewed the second year if you are a good TA and student?

I am nervous to commit to a program and then have the "carpet" pulled out from under me.

Sincerely,

AfraidOfDebt

Hey!

I totally understand what you're going through. Department funding for MA programs are pretty much a guarantee as long as you're making good progress towards finishing in two years. That may mean different things for different schools, but usually it's: 1) No grades below a B; 2) You're on track to defend your proposal by the end of your first year; 3) You meet your job as a TA or RA (or both if that's how you're assigned); and 4) You have a good or better second semester review. The review is often the basis as to whether or not you get funding. Again, assuming you're making progress, it shouldn't be an issue. The department is supposed to find/help you get the funding. Let me know if you need more information or need to talk to someone!