4 years of coursework

Hello,

I'm an international student and I have committed to the only program that accepted me. It just so happens that this program has 4 years of coursework (72 credit). I thought it was standard but I am told that usually it is less. Anyone has experience with such program ?

Why is this program more than others ? Will I still be able to do research and to graduate in 4-5 years ?

It depends on your situation.  That sounds fairly typical for an MA/PhD program.  An MA program usually is 2 years of coursework, and a PhD another 2 years.  However, for just a PhD, it seems excessive.  That said, I'm in social sciences, so hard sciences might be different.

Can you tell us more about the program?  Is it MA/PhD, or just one?

1 hour ago, E-P said:

That sounds fairly typical for an MA/PhD program.  An MA program usually is 2 years of coursework, and a PhD another 2 years.

...No? It sounds like an MA program followed by a PhD program, which isn't the same thing - it's an extra two years, for starters. No one is dissertating in a year.

@Physicalimp Yes, four years of coursework sounds absurdly excessive, and I would have severe doubts about your ability to finish a dissertation within five years of your start date.

Can you find out what the average time to completion rate is in this program? If we're talking 4 years of a full load of coursework, it's very hard to see how you could complete the program in five years, assuming you also have to TA, and you need time to build up some research projects. 

If you look at the People page on the department website, can you go through the list of grad students and figure out what year they're in by looking at their CVs? That would give you some indication of what's happening now. Also just ask some current students if you know any, and ask to be put in touch with some if not. That will be a useful resource regardless. 

8 hours ago, telkanuru said:

...No? It sounds like an MA program followed by a PhD program, which isn't the same thing - it's an extra two years, for starters. No one is dissertating in a year.

Thanks, telkanuru, that's what I meant.

I would also investigate how many of those coursework hours are taken up by research, rather than classes. In my own PhD program, we had what some considered an excessive number of credit hours and there were still people who finished in 3 and 4 years who began with their MA in hand.