Jump to content
slp2be2018

HELP!: University of Akron Distance versus Traditional Program

Recommended Posts

Today I was taken off of the waitlist at WVU. I have a baby and ever since I was placed on the waitlist for WVU, I became more eager about doing an online program. I have a week to accept or deny my admission, so I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. It makes it hard to decide since University of Akron doesn't even start interviews/accepting until end of July-August. This is a loaded post but... 1) Does anyone know much about University of Akron's distance program? 2) Do you think it is wrong of me to accept at WVU and potentially back out at the last minute if I get accepted to the online program? Part of me wants to do that, but the other part of me thinks of how much work this may entail and how unfair it may be to other students hoping to hear back. I need insight. :( Thanks in advance! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a baby and now are taking on grad school. I have 3 kids and believe me it's hard to do it all. I've heard good things about UOA distance. I'm doing my program at NYU online and I love it! I don't think it would be that horrible to accept and then decline if you get into the distance program. The spot will not go unclaimed. I've read many happy stories of people getting last minute acceptances. The biggest advantage to distance learning is the ability to fit your work in when you can. If you are disciplined you will do great! This is your journey, it has to be the experience that you want it to be, and what would be best for your family! Good luck, I wish you much success no matter where you decide to go! ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much! I would much rather do the distance program to be home with my daughter, but I’m afraid of turning down my current acceptance. I’m glad you’ve heard good things about UOA’s distance program! NYU seems like such a good program but the cost of it was a huge no for me. Why is it so expensive?! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's crazy expensive, but I'm going to suck it up and work a full and a part time job after graduation to pay it off!  Our professors are ridiculously accomplished. I did my undergraduate at a state school in Connecticut and I hated the clinic. It was disgustingly dirty , outdated, and they had some sketchy supervisors. I wanted the to the chance to experience a state of the art big city clinic. We get to do 4 day intensive sessions there before doing clinicals in our own state. I was going to apply to UOA but the application cycles didn't match up for me. I was afraid of the online format, but it works great if you're a mom! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just my opinion, I do not know anything about either school. I would accept the offer you have now (just to be on the safe side), and if you do get accepted into the distance program (and it is still what you want) go for it. Honestly, all those spots (that students turn down) are always taken by a potential student. I know of a school that started calling students from the rejected list, so do not feel bad about the school at all. A student will take your spot, if that is what worries you because each graduate program has to have a number of students in the class. As selfish as it may sound, this is about YOU and your future and what you make of your time in graduate school, so focus on you. :) Hope this helps a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a problem in accepting then declining later on if you get into Akron. I heard good things about their online program. My friend loves it. Also, if you do end up declining, they will just add someone from the waitlist and that someone will be very happy, so no worries!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! I decided to accept. It stinks I won't know I'm in until about a week before the semester begins at WVU, but I think it's better safe than sorry! Grad school isn't easy to get into! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 1:15 PM, slp2be2018 said:

Today I was taken off of the waitlist at WVU. I have a baby and ever since I was placed on the waitlist for WVU, I became more eager about doing an online program. I have a week to accept or deny my admission, so I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. It makes it hard to decide since University of Akron doesn't even start interviews/accepting until end of July-August. This is a loaded post but... 1) Does anyone know much about University of Akron's distance program? 2) Do you think it is wrong of me to accept at WVU and potentially back out at the last minute if I get accepted to the online program? Part of me wants to do that, but the other part of me thinks of how much work this may entail and how unfair it may be to other students hoping to hear back. I need insight. :( Thanks in advance! :)

Hi! 

I’m wondering if you’ve heard anything from Akron yet? I applied ages ago and it has been crickets ever since. Wondering if they even received my application??

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 1:33 PM, SLPhopeful2018 said:

Hi! 

I’m wondering if you’ve heard anything from Akron yet? I applied ages ago and it has been crickets ever since. Wondering if they even received my application??

Thanks!

Hello! 

Have you heard anything from Akron?  I received an email saying my application was submitted successfully, but that was the last I've heard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mommy4 said:

Hello! 

Have you heard anything from Akron?  I received an email saying my application was submitted successfully, but that was the last I've heard. 

I haven’t heard anything. I didn’t get selected for an interview so I’m just waiting for a rejection but nothing yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SLPhopeful2018 said:

I haven’t heard anything. I didn’t get selected for an interview so I’m just waiting for a rejection but nothing yet. 

My husband called about a month ago while I was working to ask about the interviews.  They said not getting an interview did not mean you're not accepted.  I'm hoping for a wait list letter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mommy4 said:

My husband called about a month ago while I was working to ask about the interviews.  They said not getting an interview did not mean you're not accepted.  I'm hoping for a wait list letter.  

Oh interesting! Ok thanks. A waitlist letter would be better than a rejection :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SLPhopeful2018 said:

Oh interesting! Ok thanks. A waitlist letter would be better than a rejection :)

Fingers are crossed!  This was the only school I applied to since the program worked well with my family/work/life in general.  My GRE scores were not the best and volunteering is hardly possible with a 4 yr old, full time job, and my husband's work schedule changes daily! 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.