How much will having a non-CSD background affect my chances?

I have a bachelor's from Berkeley in psychology, with no CSD coursework. The semi-relevant experience I have is: 1) ABA therapy experience for a year, and 2) working at a lab that did hearing aid/auditory cognition research for nearly two years. My GPA is strong, about 3.95 cumulative, and my GRE score is 162 V, 159 Q, 5 AWA. I just worry the lack of CSD coursework could hurt me. My LoRs were written by the head of the auditory science lab, my American Sign Language professor (who actually holds an MSc in CSD himself), and my clinical manager from my ABA position.

I recently applied to the online programs at NYU and Emerson. I am really crossing my fingers that I get in despite not having a post-bacc. Distance-learning/hybrid programs would be a perfect fit for me, and both programs offer foundational coursework for non-CSD majors.

But I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what sorts of post-bacc programs I could look into if I do not get in? There aren't many options in my area if I do not get in to these, and I would need to have the coursework done for all of them. I want to start working on a back-up plan, in case I am not accepted.

Also, are there people here who got into CSD programs without the pre-reqs? And, if you don't mind, what were your stats? Thanks!

Edited by láadan

2 hours ago, láadan said:

I have a bachelor's from Berkeley in psychology, with no CSD coursework. The semi-relevant experience I have is: 1) ABA therapy experience for a year, and 2) working at a lab that did hearing aid/auditory cognition research for nearly two years. My GPA is strong, about 3.95 cumulative, and my GRE score is 162 V, 159 Q, 5 AWA. I just worry the lack of CSD coursework could hurt me. My LoRs were written by the head of the auditory science lab, my American Sign Language professor (who actually holds an MSc in CSD himself), and my clinical manager from my ABA position.

I recently applied to the online programs at NYU and Emerson. I am really crossing my fingers that I get in despite not having a post-bacc. Distance-learning/hybrid programs would be a perfect fit for me, and both programs offer foundational coursework for non-CSD majors.

But I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what sorts of post-bacc programs I could look into if I do not get in? There aren't many options in my area if I do not get in to these, and I would need to have the coursework done for all of them. I want to start working on a back-up plan, in case I am not accepted.

Also, are there people here who got into CSD programs without the pre-reqs? And, if you don't mind, what were your stats? Thanks!

Fellow out-of-fielder here--my undergrad was in Linguistics. It looks like we have pretty comparable stats. I completed a post-bacc through Pacific University's online program and got into 2 out of the 5 schools I applied to. You also have much more relevant work experience and better LORs than me, so I would be pretty optimistic about your chances. I got into NYU's online program with all of my prereqs completed, but with your stats and experience I feel like they'd be willing to take you on for the foundation coursework.

If you do go the post-bacc route it will be cheaper than a year of grad school and allow you to get your feet wet without committing long-term. The downside is you need to pick your program carefully, since different grad programs have different prereqs. For NYU, there were two foundation courses that I would have needed to mix and match syllabi from my post-bacc and Linguistics classes (Language Development combined with Intro to Communication Disorders, and Language Development combined with Language Disorders) which I'm not sure they would have accepted. For UVM, I'm going to have to retake Aural Rehabilitation there because it was combined with Audiology in my post-bacc and they would only let it cover one course, but overall it worked out okay.

I know admissions decisions can be capricious, so I'm not saying you'll definitely get in, but based on our similar stats I think your chances seem decent. Good luck!

I am also an out of fielder! I got in to 6/7 of the schools I applied to, however I only applied to 3-yr programs and did not complete a post-bac. My stats are in my signature. If you do not get in, would you be interested in 3yr program? 

I think you have a really good chance of getting in, but I do not know much about online program's admissions. Good luck to you! 

@bibliophile222, Woah... nearly a 4.00, an insanely high GRE (and, congrats on that!), plus you completed a post-bacc... I'm surprised you were rejected from some of those schools. It really IS a capricious decision-making process. Thanks for the tip re: post-bacc programs. If I'm not accepted, I'll probably call NYU and Emerson and ask what programs they would recommend I do to strengthen my application. 

@Felice, Thank you! It's really helpful to see another psychology major's stats! Mm, I would be, but I just really don't want to relocate, and in my area I have two campus programs to pick from (both of which require prereqs). If I don't get in, I'll probably just try to get prereqs done and re-apply.

Hi Iaadan :)

I applied to Emerson distance SLP as well... my background is in COMD and have been working as an SLPA for 10 years.  My undergrad GPA was not very high so i went back to school and earned my MA-Early childhood Educaition.. MY GPA in grad school was 3.97 so im hoping that my experience in the field and my grad school GPA are good enough to get in.  Luckily Emerson waived the GRE requirement because i already have a Masters degree.  My undergad classes are over 5 years old so i know i will have to retake all the  the pre-reqs again.  From what I understand, for the distance MA program at Emerson you don't have to have your pre-reqs completed, you can still get admitted but you will have to complete the pre-reqs before starting the graduate level courses. It will be a 3 year program rather than 20 months.   I'm thinking your chances are good with Emerson.  I'm still waiting for a decision .. they told me 3-6 weeks; i had my interview on May 1st so i'm hoping i hear back from them soon.  Have you heard anything?

You have amazing experience and GPA. I saw you're from CA and maybe you'd look into the Loma Linda University program. It's not online but they have an application for those who don't have a COMD background.

• 4 weeks later...