History MA University of Memphis/UT Knoxville

Ian Melendez

I am wrapping up my history BA and ROTC contract in may 2019 and I would like to go get my history MA at University of Memphis or UT Knoxville. As it currently sits, ROTC obligations hit my GPA hard this year my transcripts show this year being the only distinct drop in GPA in the 6 years I have been in school. I sat at a 3.3 cumulative going into the year but now I am at a 2.89. I will get my GPA up to a 3.0 (or slightly higher) with a projected 3.25 history specific GPA. I recognize a 3.0 is not as competitive as a 3.3, however I have two peer reviewed publications under my belt with potentially one or two more by the time I apply. I will have several letters of recommendations from full professors at my university as well as several senior army officers. I will have military service under my belt and several public speaking engagements both in the military and Model UN.

-Should I have any cause for concern given the 3.0 GPA?

-What is the acceptance rate for the two institutions for a history MA?

-What GRE scores are considered competitive for both institutions?

-Will my professional writing/speaking aid my application?

-Does military service aid in applications?