What email should I use?

When applying to graduate schools this upcoming fall, should I use my current school email or a personal email? Those of you who have applied, what is preferred?

Thank you! 

I used my school email when applying. However, I have been having a lot of trouble receiving emails through that server since graduation. I am supposed to have access to that particular email account for 6 months. I suggest using your personal email, as long as it is something professional and isn't your email account from middle school. ? Just in case you would have trouble getting emails to that particular server in the future! 

I used my school email but have since lost access to it. I would suggest a personal email, but maybe make a new one that sounds professional if it isn't already.

Personally, I don't see why it should matter what email you use as long as it doesn't contain profanity, drug references, hate speech, or anything else blatantly unprofessional. For application purposes the email may be used to set up your application portal or to contact admissions, but I doubt that it would have any part to play in the admissions process, nor should it. I guess I also just dislike the idea of having to suppress my individual personality just to sound like a professional drone. Too much conformity creeps me out!

On the other hand, I also just watched four back-to-back episodes of The X-Files and I think it made me a little rebellious and paranoid. ?

13 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

I doubt that it would have any part to play in the admissions process, nor should it. I guess I also just dislike the idea of having to suppress my individual personality just to sound like a professional drone. Too much conformity creeps me out!

On the other hand, I also just watched four back-to-back episodes of The X-Files and I think it made me a little rebellious and paranoid. ?

How would you ever know? Is your sense of individuality and desire to be rebellious more important to you than putting yourself in the best possible position to get offered admissions to graduate programs? 

TL/DR Use a school email address if you're certain you'll have access to the account throughout the application process. If you use a personal account, use an address that is less likely to get caught up in a spam filter or to generate curiosity or controversy.

9 hours ago, Sigaba said:

How would you ever know? Is your sense of individuality and desire to be rebellious more important to you than putting yourself in the best possible position to get offered admissions to graduate programs? 

TL/DR Use a school email address if you're certain you'll have access to the account throughout the application process. If you use a personal account, use an address that is less likely to get caught up in a spam filter or to generate curiosity or controversy.

Sorry, I guess I came off as a little flippant. You do make a good point about not using emails that are controversial or prone to a spam filter. However, you also never know--a personal email that is clever, related to speech-pathology or language, or is otherwise positive might make you noticed in a good way. As long as the email isn't noticeably inappropriate I don't see what grounds an admissions counselor would have to disregard an application. It's true that the application process is a sales pitch, and that in this profession appearances matter and professionalism is paramount, but I guess I'm just annoyed that this whole application process is so difficult and competitive that we even have to worry about trivialities, like email addresses, that have nothing whatsoever to do with our experience and abilities.

Sorry again. I really don't know why this is bugging me so much. I'll stop ranting now, I promise.